Author Topic: Chopped up audio from RRC remote  (Read 3028 times)

sa5alt

• View Profile
    • Email
Chopped up audio from RRC remote
« on: 2019-07-26, 13:45:38 »
Hi eveyrone,

today something unexpectedly happened without any (known to me) configuration changes anywhere. Happy for some help debugging this. I have a TS-480 setup with RRC-1258 MkIIs, which have been working great for well over a month. Today, when I started the control, the audio was choppy, in what I felt sounded like quite consistent periods: 500ms audio, 200ms drop, 500ms audio, 200ms drop, and so on.

Both RRCs use wired Ethernet connections, and the network between them seem reliable (no loss) with rtt of about 20-100 ms. The rtt vary quite a bit though between those extremes, so one hypothesis (given that this is UDP) is that the packets could in theory arrive out of order. But I've no basis for that, except that I see the ping time vary over time and can go from 20ms to 100ms between two consecutive pings.

It definitely seems like a problem on the Radio side: I experience the same chopped up audio if I use the RRC Nano, and it doesn't matter if I use mobile connection or Wifi then either.

sa5alt

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chopped up audio from RRC remote
« Reply #1 on: 2019-07-29, 15:53:23 »
All is now fine, I know neither what caused the problem, nor what resolved it. But a few days later, the problem is gone. I'm suspecting network issues, as now that it works, ping times are around 24ms and do not fluctuate more than +/- 2ms between successive pings.

WU6X

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2019-10-28, 16:41:16 »
I'm getting the same thing on one of my remote base with same equipment as you, after several months of no issues. I thought it was a "jitter" adjustment, but have tried small to large settings with no joy. If you happen to figure it out, please re-post the solution.
Dennis, WU6X

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-10-29, 08:18:53 »
Hi

Remoterig can never cause dropouts in the audio stream, Dropouts is always an internet issue

You can increase the tolerance against bad internet by

Increasing Jitter buffer size and delay
Decreasing audio quailty
Increasing packet length

But you can never do anything against packet loss in the RRCs

So first try to isolate where the problem is by moving the control end to a friend, If the situation is the same, The problem is probably  in the Radio end.

73 de mike

WU6X

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2020-01-13, 21:31:40 »
Thank you Mike. That helped considerably.
73, Dennis-WU6X