Author Topic: Public WiFi hotspot connection via web page  (Read 2413 times)

VK2DQC

• View Profile
    • Email
Public WiFi hotspot connection via web page
« on: 2020-11-19, 02:39:10 »
I'm using RRC-1258 MkII to connect to IC-7100 at a remote location. It works fine using my mobile phone as a wifi hotspot. However, I'd obviously prefer to use the free WiFi services who provide a Password (rather than use my phone).

Problem: When attempting to connect to the free WiFi, I am forcibly directed to a Web Page where I must enter the password (the SSID is usually inserted automatically).

BUT, the RRC-1258 doesn't know how to enter the password on a web page!

My desperate approach was to insert the MAC adress of the RRC Control (not the WiFi card !?) into my laptop (using Technitium MAC Address Changer) and log my laptop onto the free WiFi. The WiFi service then has the MAC address from the RRC Control and appears to work fine with my laptop.

I thought that once my laptop was connected I could disconnect the laptop and fire up the RRC Control -It didn't work.

I noticed that TMAC was not happy inserting the exact Mac address from the RRC Control into my laptop and it needed the first octet to be changed to "02". Is this the cause of the problem?

What is wrong with my thinking? Is there a better approach (that works)?

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Public WiFi hotspot connection via web page
« Reply #1 on: 2020-11-19, 04:23:08 »
This has been asked many times over the last few years, the basic answer is that the internal
WiFi card will not support networks that require a login (Radius Server), since there is no way
to enter them in a browser.

The best way is to buy a cheap external WiFi bridge that has an ethernet port and use that instead
for cases where a login is required.

You can find examples where searching terms like "hotel" and similar on the forum, or let us know if
you have any further questions.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VK2DQC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2020-11-19, 07:23:46 »
I think I understand - that would work where I have an ethernet cable providing my connection to the internet, correct?
In my case I have only WiFi available so a "external WiFi bridge that has an ethernet port" would not help, am I correct?
Thanks Mitch

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2020-11-19, 18:42:38 »
The bridge connects to the wifi and provides an ethernet port. You first connect with a PC and log
onto the web site, then connect it using an ethernet cable to the RRC. That's it. They cost around $30.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX