Author Topic: How to user the RRC setup from Hotel Room (Need to authenticate on website)  (Read 12767 times)

KB3RUN

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi All,

I have the RRC kit and would like to use it with my Kenwood TS-480SAT. I travel every week on work and stay at hotels (Marriott, Holiday Inn etc) where the internet is free but we need to connect the CAT-5 cable to the ethernet port on the laptop and then authenticate myself on the hotel website before using internet on the laptop. I would like to get some help here so that I can make this setup and carry my radio setup.

Thanks in advance.
Hemanth
KB3RUN

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Hi Hemanth,

There are a couple of ways to do this:

-The easiest way is to use a bridge. The one I use is the Netgear WNCE2001:
  http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-adapters/high-performance/WNCE2001.aspx

- The second method is to bridge the network in your PC, by telling Windows to share the connection
   and pluging the RRC into the ethernet port on the PC. Use Google to find instructions for your Windows
   version, it can be tricky. I have had bad luck trying to do this with XP, but supposedly newer Windows
   are easier to implement.

Yet another way would be to not drag the RRC and TS-480 head along, but instead use the PC Client
along with software control: http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=28. This also solves the problem
of using WiFi where you have to pay, or if you need to use a VPN.

I personally use both, depending upon where I am traveling to (car or plane) and how long I will be
staying. I have an extra case with an RRC built-in, where the head, etc. are stored. I also have a
PC Client when this is not convenient.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

KB3RUN

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Mitch,

Thanks for your prompt response. I was getting frustrated not being able to set this up and had resolved to sell my TS-480 along with the RRC kit. Now, I guess I am going to try and make this work.
I would be very interested to see a couple pictures of your go-box setup. I will surely research the PC client option; though I like to turn knobs on the radio...
I will look up the links you have pointed me to. Mitch, will it be ok if I need to talk to you on the phone? My personal email is hemanth369@yahoo.com.

73s,
Hemanth

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
My pleasure, Hemanth.

No problem, we can speak by phone or Skype (mitchwo). I have helped a few people out who
were completely frustrated. Once the network stuff works, it is almost plug-and-play.

I lent out my go-box for a couple of weeks, but have some early photos that I have
uploaded.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

KB3RUN

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks Mitch. You have done a great job on that Pelican case. Do you ever put that box in cargo on the planes (I am asking because I dont see a door/cover on the remoterig face at the bottom of the box). My ultimate goal is to be able to carry my stuff in a pelican case and check it in. Thanks for your skype ID. I will add it to my contact list. My skype id is hemanth369. I am in FL today and will be back home (PA) tomorrow evening. I should talk to you on friday and if I can figure this out soon, I will take my TS-480 faceplate with me to Dallas (TX) next week.
Honestly, good people like yourself make this hobby even more interesting; thanks again for offering help. I looked you up on qrz; you have a nice shack!

73s,
Hemanth
215-500-2457 (Cell)

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Thanks, Hemanth,

The case was not finished for those photos, there is a hinged door covering the back of the case.
The cover inside contains the RRC and a lithium battery (theoretically 9.8 Ah @ 12.6v).

The shack is my old one. I now have a new QTH and have a better set-up there. I can even raise
and lower the mast remotely.

I am leaving town Friday for the weekend, best to catch me next week during your morning.

Speak to you then.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

KB3RUN

• View Profile
    • Email
What location is your new QTH Mitch? I guess you are trying to do everything remote...nice.
Will be at work in the mornings but will surely try to get in touch with you someday.
Mitch, the router you suggested is a WI-FI router. If we need to authenticate ourselves (Eg. Room # and password), how do we do that? Will I need my PC? Have you ever worked remote from a hotel room where you need to authenticate yourself before using the internet connection?
 I will look into the Micro PC client adapter because that may solve my problem (though I cannot twist and turn knobs). Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Hemanth

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
The QTH is in the eastern part of Munich, Hermanth. The old one was north of the city.

The bridge I suggested is first connected to your PC, where you logon and authenticate.
The MAC address then goes into the local Radius server and should allow the RRC to work
afterwards. The problem is when you need a second connection for your PC and the
connection is not free. Then another solution may be better. Here is a similar thread:
http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=868.msg3497#msg3497

I hope this helps.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

KB3RUN

• View Profile
    • Email
Thansk Mitch. The thread was very interesting. I will continue to follow. I am curious to try the bridge option. Now I am wondering if I can use my WRT54G on travel to connect the CAT5 from the hotel room, authenticate and then use one of the 4 ports on the router to connect to the RRC control box. Will do more reading.
I was able to connect the 2 RRCs to different ports on the same router at home and operate (basically I was in the same room). Now, I need to figure out the Dyndns setup and keep trying... :)

Thanks for your help!
Hemanth

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Ok, Hemanth, let me know if you need some help. Speak to you next week!

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX