Author Topic: RRC 1258, IC 7100, Rigblaster Advantage (PSK) and McLogger Dx  (Read 4928 times)

Codianni

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Mike,

Re:
RRC 1258, IC 7100, Rigblaster Advantage (PSK) and McLogger Dx

Would the above configuration work? If so could you describe how I would have to connect the base and the remote station. I live in South America and want to make sure that I order the appropriate gear in the first order.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

HK3DC/KD2ALV

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Hi Dan,

In general for all RemoteRig installations:

You pull CAT off of the control RRC, so no further hardware is required at the radio RRC side. This means
that your logging program can be connected to your control RRC either using a standard serial cable, or
the internal USB/serial converter.

For digital modes there are two ways:

1) AFSK and other digital (sound card) modes: just plug the sound card interface into the control RRC's
speaker and mic jack, as if the rig is located at the control location. Assuming a good internet connection,
there should be no problem using it this way.
2) To send FSK: you use the virtual FSK port that is installed when you use the USB cable between the
RRC and computer (after first installing Setup Manager to get the drivers). To receive, use the same
method as above for AFSK.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Codianni

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Mitch,

Thank you very much! Your explanation was very clear. Another question, is it worth the effort to use FSK instead of AFSK?

Dan HK3DC/KD2ALV

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Hi Dan,

I wouldn't necessarily say that using FSK is a lot of effort. The virtual port will be installed anyway
if you install Setup Manager and plug the USB cable into the RRC.

In general, I would say that if you use other digital modes besides RTTY, then the AFSK method would
be easier, since all modes would work the same. Also, if your internet connection has drop-outs, then
likely the FSK method would be more consistent on the transmit side.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX