Author Topic: Problems with sleeping  (Read 4300 times)

pd0swl

• View Profile
    • Email
Problems with sleeping
« on: 2013-12-19, 16:38:21 »
Hi,

Sleeping problems are quite common amongst radio DX-ers, but this is not what my subject is about  ;)

I am having some problems with Remoterig and APO "auto power off" functions in different radios.
With the RRCs in combination with my IC7100 the APO functions perfectly as it should.
With my IC706/703/R2500 APO seems ignored by the RRCs (radio simply stays on)
With the TS480 the radio goes to sleep but does not wake up anymore,the radio RRC stays "transferring" and does not go to idle,while the radio itself seems off.The TS480 radio body needs a DC power reset before the RRC server functions normally again.

I wonder where the differences in APO handling between several radios come from?
All radios mentioned have the timer function incorporated in the radio body, not in the control unit.
I would expect the radio body simply go to sleep/idle without needing any data exchange with the control head before switching to idle.

Would there be any solution to handle APO better in the other radios?
APO is not only handy to give the DXer his necessary sleep, but is also a quite valuable function to preserve power in solar/battery installations.

Mainly, I would like to understand why APO is problematic with some radios, while others work fine.

Paul
PD0PSB

« Last Edit: 2013-12-19, 16:45:54 by pd0psb »

pd0swl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Problems with sleeping
« Reply #1 on: 2014-01-04, 20:30:38 »
Some more strangeness with the TS -480:
If you select menu and by accident turn the main tuning dial the control head freezes, blanks, resets, depending on the menu item.

I cannot observe these phenomena without the RRCs in between.

If interested I could make an exact list, the behaviour of the control panel crash is different with each menu item selected.

Paul
PD0PSB

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2014-01-07, 11:34:26 »
As we just transfer the data between the controlpanel and the radio the APO function can be different depending on how it's implemented in the radio. We don't handle the APO at all in the RRC. Im not sure we can do anything about it either, it depends if any information about it is sent over the serialport in this cases. This has never been a big issue so we have not investigated it either. Probably it would be easier to implement a independent APO in the RRC which just sent a normal power of after a certain time.

/mike

pd0swl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2014-01-07, 18:52:49 »
Hi Mike,

Tnx fr reply.
I see it is radio dependant.

It is not a big issue.
A general APO in the control RRC could be a nice option, but could be confusing for others (>advanced settings?)

Thanks for another year of troublefree remote operation.
A good 2014 to you and the Remoterig team.

Paul
PD0PSB