Author Topic: TCP connected, UDP not  (Read 787 times)

9V1SA

• View Profile
    • Email
TCP connected, UDP not
« on: 2024-01-18, 14:43:26 »
I'm setting up RRC-1258MkIIs with a new IC-7100 and am struggling to get the UDP connections to work. Would value any advice.
Here is what I did:
1 Get the two RRC's talking to each other on my LAN with default IPs 192.168.0.227 (control) and 192.168.0.228 (radio)

2 Set up the strapping, connect the IC-7100 body and control panel to the RRCs

3 I made a QSO perfectly OK using my LAN. So the RRCs talk to the IC-1700 just fine.

4 At the radio side, I set up remoterig DDNS. I also set up TCP port forwarding for ports 23 and 80 and UDP ports 13000,13001,13002. In each case I set them to forward to the LAN address for the radio RRC 192.168.0.228

5 remoterig DDNS assigned me a host name, user name and password just like it should. I put the host name into the control RRC SIP contact.

6 I took the control RRC and the IC-7100 front panel away from the radio site and left the radio and its RRC on with the power LED solid green.

7 Now in my control site I go to a web browser and enter the DDNS host name into a browser. I can remotely see the radio side RRC web page, so I figure that the port forwarding at least for port 80 must be working. I can configure settings on the remote radio RRC  and when I apply changes my friend at the radio site tells me the lights on the RRC flash, the RRC reboots and sure enough I can see from its web page that settings did update. So I can control the radio RRC remotely from its web page.

8 Next I connect the control RRC to the internet and its power light comes on solid green. On the LAN where it is connected I can see the control RRC web page and that works fine too. So the two RRCs are both online.

9 Now I connect the IC-7100 control panel to the control RRC and press the power button on the IC-7100 control panel. The IC-7100 screen stays dark, it does not power up, but the orange light next to the control RRC Mic/Aux connector goes orange for a short time then goes off. My friend at the radio site tells me that the orange light next to the control RRC Mic/Aux connector there also comes on for a short time and goes off when I do this.

10 I check both the radio side and control side RRC status web pages. Both say disconnected.

11 On Android, I downloaded the free trial version of the RRC nano app for Icom. When I enter my SIP name, password etc. the app says it is connected but there is no audio. When I do this my friend at the radio side says he can see lights flashing on the radio RRC. When I look at the radio RRC web page it says there is a connection failure and there are UDP errors.

So my conclusion is that the hardware is working, the DDNS is working, TCP connections are ok between the RRCs but somehow the UDP data is not getting through. Can I say the problem is likely router configuration at the radio side? Or is there something I have to do at the control side to get UDP data to flow there also?
« Last Edit: 2024-01-18, 14:45:39 by 9V1SA »

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: TCP connected, UDP not
« Reply #1 on: 2024-01-18, 15:17:25 »
Port 23 should never be forwarded, it,s like inviting hackers to forward it.
Check that SIP ALG is disabled in both routers. Sounds like that can be the problem.

Mike

9V1SA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2024-01-19, 15:01:54 »
Thanks for your swift and clear advice, Mike.

On Port 23 - noted. I'm reading User manual Rev. A40 – 2019 sept 18 and page 237 appears ambiguous on whether Port 23 should be on or not. I will turn it off following your advice.

I confirm SIP ALG is disabled on both routers. Also the ISP at the radio end does not appear to be using CGN because the external IP address listed on the RRC radio page matches the IP address from whatsmyip.org. I have tried both port forwarding and using the DMZ on the radio side and the behaviour is the same. In both cases, when I scan the radio end IP address for UDP ports 13000-13002 using pentest-tools.com/network-vulnerability-scanning/udp-port-scanner-online-nmap it does not detect those ports open.

However, in the idle state the two RRCs are clearly connected on some level because the radio RRC's 'other party' IP address matches the IP address at the control end. Also, when I press the power on button on the IC-7100 front panel, the yellow LEDs next to the AUX/MIC connectors on the RRCs at both ends of the link come on for about 1.5 seconds at the same time. During the time the yellow LEDs are on, if I do a screen grab of the Radio RRC status page it says it is connected - see pdf attached which shows both the idle state and the state when the yellow LED is momentarily on.

Does this still look like a router configuration issue?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2024-01-19, 16:56:09 »
Hi

The units do not communicate in idle state but when both yellow LEDS are on are enough to update "other party".

There is no other known router settings than SIP ALG which can affect the connection besides wrong portforward setup. So either the ISP is blocking ports or there is a bug in one of the routers. I would have tried with another router at the radio side first .

73 de mike

9V1SA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2024-01-21, 11:00:02 »
Thanks Mike -

So I set up TCP forwarding for Port 80 and UDP port forwarding for 13000-2. Looking into the radio end IP address from the internet, I see port 80 is open and I can access the RRC dashboards and menus that way no problem.

However, when I probe from the internet to ports 13000-2 they show as closed. Is that what you would expect? The radio RRC is powered on, showing a green solid power LED, and I guess being able to see its menus and dashboards proves it is online. I have confirmed with my ISP that ports 13000-2 are not blocked or filtered at their end. SIP ALG is disabled.

I have now tried two different routers and see identical behaviour. Any ideas what to try next?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2024-01-21, 15:44:34 »
You must find out where the UDP ports are blocked. You can always try with other ports. There is nothing that can be done in Remoterig to solve your problem

73 de mike

9V1SA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2024-01-25, 13:32:28 »
Issue fixed. In moving between the setup side by side location and the remote location i did a factory reset on the radio end and forgot to reset the baud rate to 38,000 in the radio settings menu. With that corrected all works. Thanks for support

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2024-01-25, 22:40:05 »
Ok Great
I assumed that you had not changed anything after moving the units apart

73 de mike