Author Topic: Anyone using HRD with K3/0, RRC combo?  (Read 3539 times)

K7FL

• View Profile
    • Email
Anyone using HRD with K3/0, RRC combo?
« on: 2016-01-03, 22:32:50 »
I currently have my K3 line connected (over the LAN for now) to a K3/0 via RRC boxes. This configuration is now stable so I've begun to focus on the integration of Ham Radio Deluxe into the mix. I use HRD only for logging ... the rig control functionality is redundant with the K3/0 mini and therefore is of no interest, except for talking to the logbook (Frequency, Mode, QSY for packet spots).

Has anyone found a way to satisfy the HRD logging program data requirements from K3/0-mini/RRC feeds versus having HRD rig control active? I am assuming that running HRD rig control essentially running in the background will come at the price of data consumption.

Thoughts? Perhaps I'm worrying needlessly about the data consumption, but the concept of HRD rig control and a K3/0-mini running concurrently doesn't strike me as a good situation.

Thanks
Dennis, K7FL
Battle Ground, WA

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Anyone using HRD with K3/0, RRC combo?
« Reply #1 on: 2016-01-04, 06:02:02 »
Dennis, here is my CAT checklist for the K3 Twin setup:

CAT Checklist for K3 Twin
----------------------------------
Note first that in a "Twin" configuration, COM2 is used to "tie" the two ends together and carries the CAT data. In order to access CAT, you need to get to COM2 without touching it. The easiest method is to duplicate COM2 over COM1 using a function in the RRC as follows:

- Change both RRC's COM1 to mode-7. Note that the baud rate does not have to be identical with COM2 to fit a lower bandwidth or software requirement.

- If using a "real" serial cable:
     - connect between the control RRC's COM1 and the PC, but note that the pinout is not the standard straight-through serial port. Use the pinout description in the RemoteRig manual, or just try a null-modem cable which usually works (may need a gender changer).
     - The  serial setting for COM1 "Use USB Com Port as COM1" must be set to NO

- If using USB:
     - make sure that first Microbit Setup Manager is installed first on the control PC to get the drivers.
     - Then change the serial settings for COM1 to change "Use USB Com Port as COM1" to YES
     - connect the USB cable between the RRC and computer and wait for the drivers to finish installing
     - go to the Windows Device Manager and look at which virtual serial port was assigned to COM1 and use that for your software, taking the correct baud rate into account.

Note also that you can pull CAT data in parallel off of the radio RRC to use a PC on that end, or to sync with a remote device (amplifier, SteppIR, etc.)

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

KA7KDX

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone using HRD with K3/0, RRC combo?
« Reply #2 on: 2016-02-07, 06:47:51 »
I'm using it, but I cant get HRD to update if I change frequencies on the K3/0. If I use HRD, things work ok. The other problem I seem to have is constant lockups while using the logbook and trying to connect to HRD Rig Control.