Author Topic: Unwanted PTT-off delay when using mic PTT switch  (Read 11691 times)

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Unwanted PTT-off delay when using mic PTT switch
« Reply #15 on: 2015-09-23, 14:01:53 »
Hi when you play the recorded messages they are sent from the radio it self. No internet involved. If you have a large internet latency and has set high values of the Jitter buffers, you will get some delay of course that cannot be avoided. In normal cases this is no problem, there are lot of hams which are doing contesting remote.

73 de mike

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: 2015-09-23, 17:11:26 »
Hi Mike,

That perfectly explains my PTT delay issue! THANKS!

My current settings:

- Rx jitter buffer size: 16

- Rx jitter delay: 15

- Audio packet size (ms): 40

Those settings are likely unnecessarily way too high. I will lower them tonight and post results.

73 Marvin VE3VEE

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: 2015-09-23, 21:53:08 »
*** UPDATE ***

ALL IS PERFECT NOW :)

Yes, it was simply my buffer, delay, and pocket size settings all three set to their maximum value. I just lowered them to 4, 3, and 10 and all works just beautifully. I could very likely lower the values even more when I'm at home on high speed internet. Often times I use it while on the go, in the car, at work, etc. In those situations I will keep the settings higher if  needed. But especially during contests, I will now know to keep the settings as low as the quality of my internet connectivity allows me.

With the current settings I perceive absolutely no delay after I let go of my footswitch. It's like the radio was right here! I'm a happy camper now! :)

73 Marvin VE3VEE

P.S. I just briefly tried to use the following very low settings:

- Rx jitter buffer size: 2

- Rx jitter delay: 1

- Audio packet size (ms): 10

It seems to works even with these low low settings. What would be the lowest recommended settings for Audio quality: 2 Linear 16 bits 8 kHz?