Author Topic: Problem saving settings on v2.95  (Read 623 times)

pe1hzg

• View Profile
Problem saving settings on v2.95
« on: 2023-10-25, 01:21:18 »
When using the RRC's in "Elecraft twin mode", OUT0 is used to pulse-on the remote K3 when the control K3 is powered up.

To that end, OUT0 should be configured for Connect and a cable is documented the I/O connector to the DB15 connector on the Elecraft.

I would like to use the I/O connector to control some optocouplers. I prefer to use the I/O connector because it provides 8V so I can use the open-drain output of OUT0 and OUT1 against the 8V to drive said optocoupler. The K3 poweron pulse is against ground.

The PAD connector also provides OUT2 and OUT1, and ground. I should be able to use OUT2 for the Connect power-on pulse. so I can free up the I/O connector.

To that end, I have configured OUT2 for Connect so I can use the tip connection of the PAD connector and GND since the K3 power on only needs a GND connection and an output pulsing to GND.

That works: I changed the RJ45 connector to a 3.5mm for the PAD connector (tip to K3 DB15 poweron, shield to K3 DB15 GND).
I tested this and the remote K3 correctly powers-up with the new cable to the PAD connector.

I now have the I/O connector off and should be able to use OUT0 and OUT1.
I set OUT0 and OUT1 to On/Off and I am now able to control a LED remotely.

However, when I save the config (apply changes) then the OUT0 connector changes back from On/Off to Connect.

Is there any way to avoid OUT0 switching back from On/Off to Connect?

pe1hzg

• View Profile
Re: Problem saving settings on v2.95
« Reply #1 on: 2023-11-26, 16:26:17 »
Let me reply to my own posting to document how this all worked out.
While there was no response on the forum, Mike did immediately respond when asked directly, thanks!

It turns out that OUT0 is "hard coded" to do the Connect function when using mode 14 (Elecraft twin). You can set OUT1 and OUT2 any way you want (duplicating the Connect function, if you want), but OUT0 is always Connect. Hence, it is not possible to free it up; it is possible to set OUT2 also as Connect but I would lose one OUT port which is not what I wanted.

I "solved" the issue by making a small cut in the cable going tot the I/O connector and using that to splice off the OUT0 signal for the K3 DB15 connector.
Not entirely clean but I was able to make a reasonable solution with some heat shrink tube and I made my own cables anyway.

However, I was still able (using the same I/O cable) to get access to OUT1 and OUT2 and use them to "switch something else". Each of those now drive a solid state relay (Carlo Gavazzi RP1A23D5, but there are many alternatives) and I can switch-on and switch-off power supplies and the like at the radio location to save energy, which was the original plan.
(I need the I/O connector for that because the OUT outputs switch to ground and I needed the 8V output to drive the solid-state relay between).

I also made another "electrical power switch box" that uses the 12V DC output of the K3 to switch more stuff. Now, OUT1 and OUT2 switch some parts of the remote station and my transverters et all power-up if the K3 is switched on.

While I would have preferred to use the PAD port for K3 power control, the issue is minor and at the remote radio end. So it goes,

Geert Jan