Author Topic: N4PY  (Read 4383 times)

VE3ERQ

• View Profile
    • Email
N4PY
« on: 2012-04-14, 14:22:45 »
I had been using HRD to control my Omni07 remotely through my RR 1258 modems as my previous program N4PY had some difficulty operating through the the RR 1258 serial link. Unfortunately the latest 5.2 release of HRD I loaded on my computer crashed  so I tried to go back to N4PY while HRD fixed the problem.

Well it turns out the same problem still exists with N4PY and the RR 1258 in that after a period of operating well the link to the radio hangs up and it takes a while for it to get restablished. Commands also appear to get scrabbled at times during this disconnect.

Is there any chance that the folks at RR could have a look at why this happens and perhaps resolve it as I would prefer to use the N4PY package with the Omni 07?

I see that the PC Client dongle is supposed to operate with other control software packages than HRD, but there is no mention of that for the 1258's.

Thanks!

Lloyd
VK4ERQ/VE3ERQ

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: N4PY
« Reply #1 on: 2012-04-14, 14:46:20 »
Hi

The RRC.s doesn't know anything about what software are connected, it just transfer the data. For the RRC-micro it's different as it has to communicate with the Control software inside the the PC.

The serial link in the RRC can never hang up, it just sends the data. If something hangs up it's probably the PC-software. As far as I remember the Tentec uses the same type of protocol as Kenwood, Elecraft etc. where every message are ended with a ; . The RRC buffers data until it receives the ; then it sends the buffered message to the other end, which starts to send it to the radio over the cable. It's not much we can do about it. Probably it's the PC-software which expects answers from the radio within a very short time, and if the answer is to late or missing it will hang up. As programs often are made to be used only with a 2 m cable direct to the radio, the developer have not thought about missing or delayed answers and do not handle the situations correct.

I guess you have tried in mode 1 or 3 also, and have you tried with TRX manager.

Im sorry but I don't think there is much that we can do about it at least without the radio and the PC-software. And even if we should have the equipment I think that in the end it will show that the problem is not in the RRC.

73 de mike

VE3ERQ

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: N4PY
« Reply #2 on: 2012-04-14, 17:27:01 »
If you could have a look into it Mike, I'd be happy to give you access to my Omni remote, I can post the access details to you directly. The N4PY software is available on his site, for the Omni it is the Pegasus Plus package and it is useable for at least a week I think but I suspect you could contact Carl for more time.

It would be great if I could get this working as it works well before it freezes.

Thanks for your help!

Lloyd
VE3ERQ