Author Topic: PC software  (Read 4349 times)

lx1no

• mostly CW
    • View Profile
PC software
« on: 2012-06-12, 20:29:46 »
Hi folks,

I'm new to this and before I really get into it, I'd like to know which control software for the remote PC side can be used? Is there a list somewhere?

Basically, my set-up would be 2 RRCs and PC software on my side because I don't own a radio with detachable front side, except for an IC7000 which is not supported. I will not use digital or phone modes while being away from home, only CW.

HRD Log seems a bit overkill and became buyware. I'm not willing to go that way since I have my own logger. I found that some people where talking about the N4PY software. Anything else that could be used to switch bands and move the VFO? That's basically what I need.

I'm wondering, since I can read the frequency/mode from the rig with my logger, if I send the command to the rig, am I right in saying that the (Icom) command is sent transparently to the home station? If so, I could probably start trying to add my own radio control module.

Plenty of questions from a newbie since I haven't seen a live remote rig set-up and only tried to understand what's available on this site.

73 Norby

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: PC software
« Reply #1 on: 2012-06-12, 20:54:28 »
Hi Norby,

No problem to ask any question, that's what this forum is all about!

The answer is easy: your choice!

You can use any program over the RRC that you use on your local PC to control the radio.
You can simply forward CAT through COM2 to do so, and use either a serial cable or a USB
cable on the control end.

Note that you may prefer to buy the radio RRC with a PC Client instead of the second RRC.
This would save you some money and allow you to be more portable. However, you lose
the ability to send CW with a key. There were also some problems with many programs
supported by CAT in this software RRC, but this is supposedly solved in the latest version.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

lx1no

• mostly CW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-06-13, 09:29:08 »
Hi Mitch,
>You can use any program over the RRC that you use on your local PC to control the radio.

Ok. Well, that's basically my question. Which ones exist that show a frequency and a knob? Currently, I'm not using any software to control the radio. I don't need really fancy stuff, just changing bands and a VFO would do. Maybe I get something done myself.
>Note that you may prefer to buy the radio RRC with a PC Client instead of the second RRC.
Yes, but as you said, phone only and that's not what I want to do. If it would be CW only or CW included, I'd would fit just fine.
73 Norby

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-06-13, 15:57:13 »
Hi Norby,

The choice of software is a personal one. It depends upon many factors: features, language, rig & accessory support, etc.
It is often an emotional decision and the only way is to try out various control programs to see which one you prefer to
use. Since this subject is not related to RemoteRig, I highly suggest you take it to a local language forum and post your
question on rig control software to local hams and get their recommendations. All programs however have trial versions,
or may be free, but that number is getting to be fewer and fewer.

The PC Client of course supports CW using the computer keyboard, you only lose support for a key.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX