Author Topic: Frequent spontaneous reset problem - SOLVED  (Read 5094 times)

wq1k

• View Profile
Frequent spontaneous reset problem - SOLVED
« on: 2012-08-27, 17:14:25 »
Hi all,

My new 1256mkii was working fine for weeks with my IC706mkiiG.  Then, when I started getting audio dropouts in both directions because the network between the control and radio was heavily loaded with other traffic, I tried to fix the problem by increasing the jitter delay.  I made sure both ends matched and the buffer setting was also big enough.  From that point on, the audio problem was fixed, but (perhaps coincidentally) now I have a worse problem with the radio resetting about every 10 minutes or so, as if it had been turned on and off with the power button.

The ICOM front panel on the control end goes dark, flashes, resets, and then resumes operating, all in about five seconds.  However, the antenna tuner is also reset and the rig need to be retuned after that point, which makes me think the resetting might be taking place at the radio end.

I upgraded to software 2.61, but it didn't fix the problem.  It's very annoying during a QSO.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave WQ1K
« Last Edit: 2012-08-28, 02:27:28 by wq1k »

WW2DX (Lee)

• AOL Instant Messenger - ljimber
    • View Profile
Re: Frequent spontaneous reset problem
« Reply #1 on: 2012-08-27, 20:28:33 »
Hi Dave,

Sounds like there could be a number of possibilities but you will need to do some more testing experimenting to try and narrow it down.

1. You say "radio was heavily loaded with other traffic" what exactly is your pipe and how much saturation do you typically have? Do you have any traffic shaping ability to dedicate a chunk of bandwidth to your RRC(s)?

2. Display dropping out - Positive there is not a power supply or power issue if some kind at the radio site?

3. Its been a long time since I played with 706 configs but can the baud rate be adjusted? If so I would try a slower baud rate like 9600 or 4800 and see if things are more stable.

73 and keep us posted,

Lee
WW2DX

wq1k

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-08-27, 21:16:56 »
Lee, thanks for the note and the good suggestions.

The IP path is through my home wired network to my home WiFi network to the radio which is outdoors in an enclosure with its own WiFi adapter connected to the control end.  The wireless access point/router on my wired network that bridges to the radio's WiFi Adapter runs custom stateful routing code and handles my connection to the Internet, and it's typically saturated.  I'll look to see what its error rates are, but I had assumed that dropped packets couldn't cause the problem I'm seeing, since dropped packets occur on most networks.

A power problem at the radio end is a good thought too, I'll look into that.  The baud rate is the easiest to play with, but it did work at this baud rate before, so I'm not as hopeful there.

Other ideas welcome too.  I'll report progress here.

Thanks and 73,

Dave WQ1K

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2012-08-28, 00:55:29 »
You can not change the baudrate. I don't think the reset problem has anything to do with the Jitter settings. But it can still be caused by your internet problem, if data packages are delayed to much or even missing. If you had not had the Internet problems I would have guess on RFI problems.

73 de mike

wq1k

• View Profile
Re: Frequent spontaneous reset problem - SOLVED
« Reply #4 on: 2012-08-28, 02:31:01 »
Mike, Lee,

It turns out this had NOTHING to do with Remoterig; when I connected the front panel directly to the radio the resets continued to occur!  Other IC706MKiig users have seen this problem.  One fixed it just by cleaning the contacts/reseating the connector on the radio from the control cable.  I've tried that and will see if it works.

In any case, sorry to have taken time from both of you on this, I never thought to blame the radio, but I should have ;-)

Dave WQ1K

Follow up: The IC706MKiiG now spontaneously resets when not connected to anything but power, and on multiple power supplies.  It is going back to Icom for repairs.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-28, 04:02:23 by wq1k »