Author Topic: TS-480 will not turn-on  (Read 6686 times)

W6EIJ

• View Profile
TS-480 will not turn-on
« on: 2012-11-22, 22:16:06 »
My TS-480 has been working great with a good internet connection.  In an environment where the internet connection was very slow, I experienced very poor audio.  I changed the RX Jitter Buffer size to 16, and the delay to 15, to see if that would smooth out the audio.  Instead, the radio will not turn-on.  Going back to the default it would turn on, albeit with very poor audio.  By poor, I mean the audio surges to the point the audio is unintelligible.  I tried the high jitter and delay settings later with a fast connection, and still I could not turn on the radio.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: TS-480 will not turn-on
« Reply #1 on: 2012-11-22, 22:51:18 »
I have a list of tips that I send out for helping with 3G connections. This is useful for
anyone with a low bandwidth situation like you, so maybe it will help:

3G Checklist
------------------
Try reducing your bandwidth to a minimum and changing some parameters to compensate
for a poor line. Here are some tips:

1) These two are important:
- audio quality to 0 (half the bandwidth of codec 2 and more than adequate for SSB & CW)
- turn continuous RTP on or set RTP to continuous (depending upon firmware version)

2) Play around with these 3 until you are satisfied:
- increase rx jitter buffer to min 10
- increase rx jitter delay to min 12
- audio packet size 20 or 40

3) Also, make sure that serial ports COM1 and COM2 are turned off if not used,
or that either being used is set to the minimum bps necessary to handle the serial
communication. For example, use 4800 for CAT on a rig like the TS-480 and not
a high speed like 57600, since the higher speed is completely unnecessary.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2012-11-23, 12:41:38 »
Sounds starnge that the pwr on/off function is connected to how the audio buffer size is setup, there is no relation between them. But I will test if there is a bug just with the settings 15/16.

73 de mike

W6EIJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-11-23, 19:17:07 »
Thank you for your responses, and Mitch thanks for your suggestions.  (Off-line, Mitch provided me with extension assistance - got everything working just fine.)  And Mike - the ONLY change was the jitter buffer size and delay.  Also, I've noticed that at times if I turn off the radio, I cannot turn it back on - I've gone into the Radio RCC and on the status page, hit "disconnect," and then it worked fine.  Tom

W6EIJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-11-23, 19:18:35 »
One more thing - the tx monitor does not work - I went into the menu and turned it on, setting it to different volumn settings, but it does not work.  Tom

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2012-11-23, 19:23:05 »
yes but TX-monitor is not possible to use in real life due to the inteernet latency. But for testing you can set RTP-Tx mode to continuous in Radio-RRC and enable Full Duplex in Control RRC, both on Advanced page.

73 de mike

W6EIJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-11-25, 20:18:51 »
Thanks