Author Topic: TS480 -- Low Microphone modulation  (Read 4410 times)

N6TDC

• View Profile
    • Email
TS480 -- Low Microphone modulation
« on: 2013-02-22, 13:11:01 »
Hi all,

I'm assisting Jim N6TP with setting up a RemoteRig installation of a TS480 with a Remoterig pair.

On Receive, it is working great via internet link.
On Transmit:
   CW is working great.
   SSB is not working correctly:

When the microphone is keyed-up (PTT), it does not modulate the remote radio at the base station.

The microphone gain is set to 50 in the menu. (USB MIC 50).
The ALC does not kick up with modulation. Meanwhile, the CW mode drives the ALC to 50 on the ALC scale and full 200 watts power output.

There did not seem to be any problems with microphone gain/modulation when testing the system locally (no internet connection, directly connecting the front-panel to the rig).  The same cables were used to connect the front-panel to the rig.

Is there a menu choice or setup in the RemoteRig server that we need to pay special attention to, to ensure there is enough Mic Gain on the "radio" side?  Any other ideas why we are seeing no mic gain?

Thanks all,
Jim N6TDC/8

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: TS480 -- Low Microphone modulation
« Reply #1 on: 2013-02-22, 13:18:27 »
Hi
You can change mic gain in the RRC but you should not do it if you use the codec values from the manual, you get 1:1 gain trough the system already. Check the positioning of the red straps and that they are not broken

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: TS480 -- Low Microphone modulation
« Reply #2 on: 2013-02-22, 13:19:08 »
Hi Jim,

Nope, SSB is done in hardware, it should work straight off.

There are two possible problems:

1) You wired the socket straps 180 degrees upside down. This is a common problem, I suggest
    that you double-check. The top on the manual photo has the nearest connectors to its right.

2) One or more of the straps is not fully making contact. I used to have this problem all the time
     until I perfected my technique: use a needle-nose pliers and hold the strap at the far end of the
     insulation. Then push the wire straight into the socket until it clearly makes contact. Make sure
     that the wires are not sharply bent going to the other socket.

Also make sure that the jumpers are set correctly per the diagram in the manual.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX