Author Topic: SSB Mode Monitoring/PTT Delay  (Read 6263 times)

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
SSB Mode Monitoring/PTT Delay
« on: 2013-03-10, 01:51:43 »
What setting controls the ability to hear yourself when you're transmitting SSB?  Seems to me at one time I was able to hear myself talking, but now its not there.  Not sure what I did to make it go away, if I did anything.  Using 2.61.

Another question: when I changeover from Xmit to Rx, I hear a "blip" or a snippet of the last thing that I said.  When I tweak
the "PTT OFF Mute Delay" above 10, then the footswitch now longer puts the radio into transmit.  I would like to lengthen the delay before I start hearing the Rx audio again, but I find I either have to hear it or it won't go into transmit with the footswitch.  Any guidance on what number works there?

Thanks.

Dennis W1UE

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: SSB Mode Monitoring/PTT Delay
« Reply #1 on: 2013-03-10, 11:23:07 »
For test you can setup the RRCs, so you can here your own voice, But you can not use it for QSO, the delay of the returned audio will drive you crazy.

IN radio RRC set "RTP tx mode" = Coninuous, and in the the Control-RRC set "Full duplex" = yes.

I have not heard before that "PTT OFF Mute Delay" longer than 10 will not work. I have it set to 30 myself but I PTT through the MIC/ AUX input. Have you connected the footswitch to one of the I/Os ?

73 de mike

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-03-10, 15:23:36 »
I went back and did some further testing this morning.  Now I'm not sure what I was doing before, but now a setting of PTT Off Mute Delay of 175 completely removes any audio coming back to me.  A 165 setting still results in a small blip of audio, but 175 stops it all.  Only thing left now is to try it in a contest atmosphere and see if the 175 setting loses too many first dits/dahs of a replying signal.

I tried the settings you suggested, and I totally agree- the audio that is making the full round trip is very distracting.  I know we were getting transmit audio some other way before, because it was directly in step when I was talking.  Not sure how I was getting it.

Thanks.  Dennis W1UE

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-03-10, 15:29:32 »
in cw it's better to disable the sidetone in the radio so you do not need any "mute" settings. If you need to set it to 175 you must have high latency or set high buffer values

73 de mike

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2013-03-10, 22:09:30 »
The Rx Jitter Buffer is 12, the delay is 8.  The manual says to make them 4 and 3, but I'm pretty sure mine arrived from Elecraft with the 12/8 numbers in there.  Should I try the 4/3 numbers?

Also, under the "Advanced" tab, there is a place for "Elecraft Advanced"- its either a yes or a no.  There is no description of what that does in the manual on the website, nor in any of the Elecraft documentation.  What does it do?

W1UE

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2013-03-10, 23:09:02 »
Hi

Yes try our default settings first if you have a internet conenction of normal quality. The "Elecraft advanced" was made for some internal tests they did, nothing to bother about

73 de mike