Author Topic: Wifi - Username AND password  (Read 8335 times)

W6EIJ

• View Profile
Wifi - Username AND password
« on: 2013-03-17, 10:23:30 »
Is there any way to enter not just the password but also the username?  It seems hotels need both entries before one can log-in.

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wifi - Username AND password
« Reply #1 on: 2013-03-17, 11:57:35 »
It sounds like the hotel uses a system where one has to use a web browser to log in to their WiFi, which isn't the same as the WiFi itself having a "password".
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

W6EIJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-03-17, 17:47:55 »
Thanks for your response.  What does this difference mean?  I use this exact setup with my office WiFi regularly.  Here, it does not work, although there is a very strong wifi signal.  I can see the radio unit over the internet, and it is working.  On the remote hotel side - I have an IP address and everything seems fine, but when I try to look at the remote unit with a browser, I get an error message.

I tried another profile on both remoterig units (in case something happened), but everytime I select the wifi, the profile seems go back to default.   

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-03-18, 08:54:59 »
When I was on vacation/holiday the other week that hotel had WiFi which used the system with logging in using a web browser. The WiFi itself was not using any security(=did not require a "password)" but when I tried to connect to it my mobile phone opened up its web browser and showed a page used to log in with username and password instead of asking for the WiFi "password."
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

W6EIJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-03-24, 19:59:18 »
So if the wifi itself does not require a password, the Remoterig should have connected without any problem, right? 

But the wifi I encountered required a username with the password - but I'm guessing that if a password is not required, there would also be no requirement for a user name to jump on the network, correct?

I reguarly use my wifi at the office and home with no problems.  I enter the password and off I go.  To date, I have not been able to connect with any hotel. 

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2013-03-25, 00:44:38 »
Is this the answer to your question?

http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=868.msg3497#msg3497

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

KB8CR

• IC-7100 and IC-706 on RRC's
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2013-05-01, 03:22:14 »
I am having good results using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) in Windows 7. Go into Network & Sharing Center and then to Adapter settings. Right-click the wireless connection, and under the sharing tab, enable sharing. Plug a CROSSOVER Ethernet cable from your notebook's Ethernet jack to the RRC-Control box. A standard Ethernet cable will NOT work.
Make sure to enable DHCP on the RRC box.

Connect to the hotel's wifi with the notebook's browser, and give it whatever info they ask for, like your room number, or sometimes just "agree" to their policies, and make sure the notebook is able to access the internet. Your RRC box should be able to get out to the internet now.

Charlie KB8BWE

kb8ml

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2013-05-10, 05:20:35 »
I'm doing the same as Charlie except with a MacBook Pro. In System Preferences, Internet & Wireless, Sharing,  turn on Internet Sharing then share from Wi-Fi to Ethernet. One difference - I am using a straight cable from the RRC to the Mac's Ethernet jack.

Attached is a screen shot of the sharing setup screen.

I haven't had a chance to try this in a hotel but right now at home, my RRC is connected to my Mac via a straight cable. Mac is connected to a Netgear router via Wi-Fi. Netgear is connected to an ISP-provided DSL router via a cable. Kenwood TS-480 audio and controls work fine.

Mike KB8ML