Author Topic: 706 powers up, no control  (Read 5180 times)

wa6hzt

• View Profile
    • Email
706 powers up, no control
« on: 2013-03-31, 17:06:18 »
Thanks for any thoughts/help in advance.

Everything was working fine, but, suddenly, the control head for my 706 is only able to turn the rig on and off. It will stay on for a few minutes, then turn itself off. It's as if it has partial control. The status information at the radio end is copied below; all looks normal.

Variables: The cable from the control head to the controller has just been redone. This is a new installation with many new pieces of equipment between the controllers (DSL, WiFi, bridge).

My feeling is that some critical piece of control information has quit being passed between the controllers and, sensing it has lost control, one or both of the controllers shut down the connection. And, it happened all of a sudden.

Is it possible to only be able to turn the radio on and off and not have other control? If so, does that indicate the cable at the control end? As the cable is delicate (which is why it has recently been redone), I don't want to stress it out any more than needed, so am reluctant to go at it with a VOM... but, will be happy to do so if that is where I need to look.

Any thoughts?

Gary

===============================

Name   Value
Radio   ON
Connection status   OK
SIP status   Connected/transfering
Last SIP error   None
RTP status   Excellent(59)
UDP cmd status   OK(40)
SIP command timeout   0
Rx Jitter buffer size   10
Rx Jitter delay   9
Dual Rx   0
Current audio packet size   20
Current audio quality   0 - alaw 8 kHz
External IP   50.0.XXX.XX
SIP Out port   5061
SIP In port   5061
Audio Out port   11000
Audio In port   11000
Command Out port   12000
Command In port   12000
External SIP In port   5061
External Audio In port   11000
External Cmd In port   12000
Other party   75.111.XX.XX
Input 1   High
Input 2   High
Output 0   Low
Output 1   Low
Output 2   Low
Dynamic DNS status   OK
Ping status (watchdog)   Off
DNS status   OK, remoterig.com = 193.202.110.185
Active profile:   Default
PTT status:   OFF

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: 706 powers up, no control
« Reply #1 on: 2013-03-31, 19:08:38 »
Hi

The situtation you describe indicates that data is flowing from the control panel to the radio, but not from the radio to the control panel. Check the red straps handling the data signal with an ohm meter to be sure that no one is broken. I assume that uou have already checked your cables with an ohm meter.

73 de mike

wa6hzt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-04-01, 03:05:54 »
Thanks, as always, Mike.

I checked the jumpers and they are all solid. I reseated each, just to be sure.

One thing has become apparent since I first posted this morning; the DSL router at the radio end took a hit of some sort and I think some of the port configurations were affected. I will re-do all of those, and I did confirm continuity on each of the radio/controller cable pins. I suspect routing issues now as nothing has changed at the control end and I am now seeing what I think are connectivity issues below:

Name   Value
Radio   OFF
Connection status   Disconnected
SIP status   Idle
Last SIP error   None
RTP/UDP audio status   Disconnected
UDP cmd status   Disconnected

I am correct in assuming the RTP/UDP audio is on 11000 and the command is 12000 (I used the defaults for those)? Would you agree it looks like there is now a firewall/routing issue in play?

It may be that the I lost partial control as the ports were being fouled in the DSL router today, as physically, the box looked fine.

You thoughts? Again, thank you...

wa6hzt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-04-01, 04:29:21 »
Hi, Mike... here's an update...

The Aux/Mic light indicating the SIP connection is good comes on when I press the power button and I see the following status for the radio controller:
Radio   ON
Connection status   OK
Last SIP error   None
RTP status   Excellent(60)
UDP cmd status   OK(18)

The control status shows:
Control panel   ON
Radio   OFF
Connection status   OK
Last SIP error   None
RTP status   Excellent(60)
UDP cmd status   OK(45)

Notice the "Radio" status; this is as you explained before... the radio appears to be on but I am not able to see or control it. If the hardware is good, is it a port issue? I suspect it is something simple, but...

Thank you!

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2013-04-01, 09:05:45 »
As you can see the cvonnection is ok for all ports so the routers etc are working OK, it's a cable and strapping issue if you have set baudrate etc OK in both ends. Check the settings again or email me the exported html settings.

/mike