Author Topic: Remote Rig + ERC + Com1?  (Read 6277 times)

M1EMB

• View Profile
    • Email
Remote Rig + ERC + Com1?
« on: 2013-05-21, 23:29:31 »
Hello

Hope some of you Remote Rig owners might be able to help me please. I am
looking to use the ERC (Easy Rotator Controller) with my RR setup but I have used Com2 with a Cat
interface for IC706mk2G.

Speaking to Mike he said that com1 is the same as com2 only the pin config is different from com2 in the radio box, it's a female dsub and pin 2 and 3 are shifted compared to com2.

Has anyone managed to setup Com1 with the ERC?

Thank you

Stu

HL5KY

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Remote Rig + ERC + Com1?
« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-22, 03:06:43 »

Hi Stu,

I got a personal message from you but I thought this is a better way to answer your question.
Here I give you my setp and connection of ERC-M and RRC.

RRC Setup
COM1 (ERC) Mode-3, 9600, 8, 1, 0, cts/rts(no), terminator(00)
(You can change buad rate of ERC with setup software of ERC, Service Tool)

Computer - Control RRC
     pin2 - pin2
     pin3 - pin3
     pin5 - pin5

ERC-M  - Radio RRC
     Tip - pin2
     Ring - pin3
     GND - pin5

Good luck.

Joe, HL5KY.

M1EMB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-23, 13:56:51 »
Hi Joe

Sorry for the delay, thank you very much for your help with the ERC connections, I have it all wired up and have double checked the connections but keep getting the message "no erc answering on port com1"  ,  did you have any teething problems when you got it setup?  I have the ERC all wired as per your guide going to the com1 on the radio RR and downstairs I have the serial cable going from com1 to the PC's com1 serial connection. 

For the RRC Setup serial connections that you gave me is this just for the control side? What about the radio serial side, I tested it both ways but can't get a answer from com1, just about to get a serial to USB cable to see if that makes a difference.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Stuart

M1EMB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-23, 15:44:16 »
Just a quick update, I had my doubts about my ERC interface so I wired pins 2 and 3 back around again and tested it and it does work, no problems reading and calibrating so its something to do with the RR that I can't see right now.    Not sure if this makes a difference but I am using it over my Lan at the moment whilst setting the rotator and ERC/RR up.   Does that help anymore? 

Thank you

M1EMB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2013-05-23, 16:27:07 »
OK guys, I have it, wrong setting on the radio side, thanks for the help getting this sorted, looking forward to getting it live.

Thanks Stu

HL5KY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2013-05-24, 01:37:58 »
Hi Stu,

I don't know what is exacltly going on but my setup is same on both RRCs. If you soldered the wires on the back of PCB then it's confusing to tell which one is TXD or RXD. However switching TXD and RXD doesn't hurts, so you can try either way and if one works that's fine.

One more thing I want to mention about the term TXD and RXD is that it differs from device to device. TXD can mean either 'output of data' or 'The port should be connected to TXD of the opposite device'. It's quite confusing. I would have called them as input and output. Simply, the input of one device should go to the output of the other device. In that manner, all the pin functions you may need are as follows;

Computer
     pin2 : input
     pin3 : output
     pin5 : GND

Control RRC-COM1
     pin2 : output
     pin3 : input

Control RRC-COM2
     pin2 : output
     pin3 : input