Author Topic: Deteriorating setup (FT857D)  (Read 4132 times)

EI3KD

• View Profile
Deteriorating setup (FT857D)
« on: 2013-06-05, 11:16:17 »
Hi,

I've had an FT857D remoterig setup working well and in constant use for about 6 months.

In the last few weeks I've noticed it's becoming more and more difficult to get the rig to power on. When I press the faceplate's power switch I get the three cycles, (some ethernet packets too) then nothing. On the shack webcam I can see what looks like a red LED from somewhere (it's too far to view) also cycling three times. After what seems to be an increasing number of attempts (sometimes some minutes) the rig will eventually come on.

I can (and do) remotely recycle the rig's 12V PSU. I also tried changing the PSU (from SMPS to linear) but that made no difference.

One thing I might be doing wrong is powering the radio remoterig box from the same 12V PSU as the rig - could that be the problem? I'm trying to narrow down where to look before randomly changing things!

Thanks,

Mark

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Deteriorating setup (FT857D)
« Reply #1 on: 2013-06-05, 11:25:11 »
Hi

It's a risk powering the RRC from the same PS as the FT-857 as the 857 almost make a short circuit when it starts, which may reset the RRC . You can check the Uptime in the Radio RRC, then you can decide if it restarts.

73 de mike

EI3KD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-06-05, 16:26:43 »
Thanks for the reply Mike.

I was aware of the situation with the FT857D, but I have now put the radio-end remoterig box on its own PSU and the situation is exactly the same. Anyway, it used to work 100% fine, so I'm wondering what has changed? I just hope it is not something being damaged slowly, that will eventually fail.

There's a possibility the power-on problem got worse after a firmware update, but that might just be coincidence. I will try an older version and see what happens.

Mark

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-06-05, 16:32:10 »
NO NO. search the problem in your routers or Internet connection, the RRC don't change.  If you should do anything  put both RRC on the same LAN and check that all is OK then.

/mike