Author Topic: K3/0 with built-in RRC?  (Read 7189 times)

SM0SHG

• View Profile
K3/0 with built-in RRC?
« on: 2013-08-17, 11:20:27 »
Has anyone put the RRC box inside the K3/0? The K3/0 certainly as the space for it... Any ideas, toughts, experience to share?
73's de Adde, SM0SHG

sm3jgg

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: K3/0 with built-in RRC?
« Reply #1 on: 2013-08-25, 17:26:26 »
SM3XGV har byggt in RRC i K3/0 an.

73 de SM 3 J GG

W1AN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-01-17, 18:54:05 »
I'm sure others have thoughts on this but I'm sure it can be done with some patience and planning to pass the wiring in and out of the case to connect between the rear of the K3/0 and the RRC control connectors. You don't want to destroy the value of your K3/0, so you would do your best to mount everything on and through the removable rear plate which can be replaced or home brewed. This can become somewhat of a project but it can reduce some of the rats nest of wires.

My thought is to redesign the RRC Control PCB to provide on board headers for all connections and provide a cable kit so that it can be embedded. Collaboration with Elecraft could result in a kit to include mating headers and replace some K3/0 sheet metal. For the K3/0 mini an extension box similar in size to the K3/0 with rear panel connections could be supplied. The best plan in my view would be to redesign the sheet metal so that you could also mount a mini-itx motherboard inside as well. There is room! You would have a great system that would go in your carry-on bag!

73, John W1AN

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-01-18, 01:14:35 »
I have seen a couple that placed their RRC inside of the K3/0. Since Elecraft's goal was the
development of the K3/0 Mini, the K3/0 was an interim product and there was no incentive
to put any further effort there, so you are on your own there. I doubt that the existing static
customer base justifies a business case for a new add-on product, but maybe someone can
create a repeatable mod kit and publish an article.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

SM0SHG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-01-19, 17:27:57 »
I actually put my RRC into my K3/0 with a pretty good result. The plan is to put a battery inside as well.

W1AN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-01-22, 01:36:13 »
There's another approach for the less adventurous. In the image the two sheet metal tabs either side of the RRC opening fold back at 90 degrees to support the RRC inside so the circuit card is able to slide out. You can bring out all the connectors to the rear of the K3/0 and add the I/O paddle, Straight Key, and PC keying jacks. The sheet metal extends to the left rear edge allowing the unused holes to be used. No drilling or changes to the K3 internals is needed. This method is for those who want the option to keep the K3/0 and RRC-C intact. Short interconnecting cables will be needed. Of course you could later dig in a little deeper and wire all internal to the K3/0 if you like a cleaner appearance.

I've just ordered the sheet metal for my K3/0. It should arrive in a few days. I'll post photos of the completed install when done.
73, John W1AN

« Last Edit: 2015-01-23, 22:20:43 by W1AN »

W1AN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-02-11, 06:52:17 »
I've completed the RRC installation into the K3/0. COM2 and the LAN connection were extended to the rear and the Paddle and CW key jacks were brought out from the RJ45 I/O connector. Short cables were made and used. The AUX connector is for optional PC CW keying from RS232 DTR using a Y cable from COM1. The ACC connector is for future use. The only internal wiring connection made to the K3/0 is for the 12V at the rear 12VDC connector. There is a future place for a WiFi antenna, but presently I use the WiFi in my laptop connecting the two LAN ports with a crossover cable and a bridge configuration in Win7.

The sheet metal was designed with the free software available from Front Panel Express. http://frontpanelexpress.com  I selected a black anodize finish. The 90 degree bends in the sheet metal were done on a vise.  Duct tape was used to protect the aluminum along with small sheets of aluminum on each side while bends were made.

Future plans include a redesign to include a pico-itx or nano-itx PC motherboard for CAT and contest software. The board will be small enough to mount on top of the RRC inside the K3/0. They are just a little too pricey at this time.

If anyone is interested in the panel design, I will provide. You can edit as needed.

73, John W1AN
« Last Edit: 2015-02-11, 17:29:21 by W1AN »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2015-02-11, 08:18:42 »
Well done, John! Looks really great!

I may come back to you on getting some copies.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX