Author Topic: Some IC-7100 experience  (Read 6447 times)

pd0swl

• View Profile
    • Email
Some IC-7100 experience
« on: 2013-09-07, 17:31:34 »
Hi,

I have been using the RRC/7100 for some weeks now and really enjoy the combo.

There are some small issues I encountered, which I think are Icom's problem but may be worth noticing:

-Sometimes the radio body will not power up at the remote end while the RRC connection/transfer is okay. The body of the radio needed to be reset by DC power interrupt. I use a i/o port of the RRC to switch DC power to the radio for safety,this is highly recommended for the 7100 to be able to reset by DC interruption.
-At random the control head does not correctly recognize the headphone socket. Even with headphone installed the speaker is still switched on.
-I noticed that after a few days of having the radio's DC powered down, the date/time was back to 00:00. I haven't checked thorroughly, but other settings seemed to be still there.
Better to keep DC present to the radio body and only use DC disconnect for reset (and use the SD card periodically to make a settings copy).

73!
Paul
PD0PSB

« Last Edit: 2013-09-07, 17:36:05 by pd0psb »

ON4AOI

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Some IC-7100 experience
« Reply #1 on: 2013-09-09, 08:24:20 »
Hi Paul,
concerning your experiences
it looks like you have a "monday unit"
never had this problems.
I suggest that you return the unit for inspection
could be a bad connection since pin2 of the CAT6 connector
is grounded to put rig on.

The date/time and all other settings are stored in eeprom and don't need
external power to keep them.

make sure you use a good connector on the headphone unit
they are critical made (cheap)

Guy ON4AOI 

pd0swl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-09-09, 16:49:30 »
Hi Guy,

A song by the Boomtown Rats about Mondays, I remember :-)

Good to hear (well not for bug tracing ofcourse ;-) that you did not have any of these issues.

Regarding the power on/off, it seems that the radio body had "crashed" when this occured.
May be that also explains the clock reset. Strangely memories and Dstar settings,etc were all still intact. Could have been a short mains power drop or an encountered FW bug.

First I will bring the radio back home and check without RRCs on the speaker/HP issue, may be impedance of the headphones is critical for the unit to recognize they are inserted.

Dont really want to bring it in for inspection over these small issues, it is a nice rig.

Paul
PD0PSB

« Last Edit: 2013-09-09, 16:54:48 by pd0psb »

W7HR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-09-17, 18:34:48 »
I had a problem once with my 7100 not wanting to power up too.  When I checked the status of the RRCs I found "SIP Error" on both.  I did a "Restart Device" on both units and after that the 7100 powered up normally.  I assume it was an internet problem, not a RR or 7100 problem so may not be exactly the same as yours.  I did not have to power cycle the 7100.

Randy, W7HR