Author Topic: remoterig - TS480 - expert 1K  (Read 17879 times)

guanaco

• View Profile
remoterig - TS480 - expert 1K
« on: 2013-10-08, 13:56:10 »
Hi,

I’m about to order some remoterig equipment for my setup. But to save some extra shipping costs, I really want to be sure I have all I need .
I’d like to control my TS480 and Yaesu rotor (for which I don’t have a controller). I also want to use an expert 1K remotely. Also want to do CW and digital modes (psk, rtty, ..)
I figured I needed this for voice communication:
- set of RRC-1258MkIIs (http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=1051) + 12V adapters
- webswitch 1216H + 12V adapter
- rotor remote control 1216L

I could make the cables myself. I have another 20V power supply which will be used to turn the rotor CW or CCW. This 20v could be switched by the 1216L.

But I wonder what I actually need to get digital modes working:
Based on the drawing at page http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=362 I only need a cat cable (Kenwood CAT Cables K14c,K15c ?)  between transciever and RRC. Is this the only thing I need? On the controlling side I would only use a PC with HRD. Or am I missing something here?

Could you please confirm this is indeed all I need?
I guess both the Radio-RRC and the RRC-amplifier cables are all documented, so this should be easy to make..

Thanks!

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: remoterig - TS480 - expert 1K
« Reply #1 on: 2013-10-08, 18:20:37 »
Those are a lot of questions and I am in a rush, but I will try to answer best I can:

- Assuming you use COM2 of the RRC to pass CAT through the internet, then this leaves only one port
(COM1) available for controlling another device.

- You can use the Webswitch to control the rotor, or use any generic serial server, such as from Lantronix
or Moxa. (or COM1 on the RRC)

- You can control the SPE Expert either by using COM1 on the RRC, or also using any generic serial server. I
have been doing so for several years now with a serial server.

- To get CAT working, you only need a standard serial cable between the TS-480 and RRC COM2 (plus some settings)

- To get FSK running, you would need to make a cable between the RRC I/O plug and the ACC plug n the
TS-480. If you can live with AFSK, a standard sound card interface on the control side is sufficient (required
for other digital modes)

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

guanaco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-10-08, 20:39:11 »
Hi,
Thanks for your reply!

Ok regarding COM2 for CAT, but since I'm using a rotor controller (1216L) I won't need COM1 for rotor control. So I guess (correct me if I'm wrong) I could use COM1 for the amplifier?

Of for the cable on the radio side..

regarding the RRC I/O for digital modes, could you please provide more info on this (link) ?

Thanks!

J.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-10-08, 21:56:00 »
Basically, it is your choice what you use COM1 for. If you have a Webswitch for the rotor, you can use it for
the amplifier. My point was that it doesn't matter and that you only have one COM port available when you
use CAT with COM2.

As for the digital modes, just refer to the RemoteRig manual. On page 14 is the pinout for the AUX/MIC
connector for AFSK or digital mode sending (take audio from the SP jack). On page 19 is the pinout for
the I/O connector if you want to use  FSK. Refer to the TS-480 manual for the ACC pinout.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

guanaco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-10-09, 14:02:21 »
Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the info. Still 1 thing not clear to me.

Manual on page 13 states "The USB interface is used to initially set up the IP parameters. It can also be used for downloading new software (can also be done via the WEB interface). At the Control - RRC it can also be used for CAT control, PTT, RTTY or CW control via the RTS and DTR signals in the virtual COM - port delivered by the RRC USB device ."

The part in bold isn't clear for me.. I thought I didn't need an additional connector for digital modes then. I thought DM780/HRD would just take care of sending the audio via the USB port. Isn't that the case?

I currently have a microham keyer II, so I wonder how this thing will fit into the remote setup. So far I thought I didn't need this.

ON4AOI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2013-10-09, 17:52:36 »
Check my postings , I uploaded several drawings for this specific setups

Guy ON4AOI

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2013-10-09, 21:12:02 »
Sorry, I have been busy all today (I am on business in Johannesburg this week).

Like Guy say, he has made some postings with details on this and he is the expert.

Some comments: the USB does not carry audio, it is only used for a virtual serial ports.

What is it exactly you want to do with the Microham? CW? Digital modes? FSK?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

guanaco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-10-09, 22:05:47 »
HI,

Went through all the posts, but 90% of the images seems to be corrupt  :(
Well, I guess I'd be able to get voice working, but I would also like to use PSK, RTTY, CW via HRD/DM780.
I currently have a TS850 and microham keyer II, which I'm using for both PSK, SSTV and CW, but I have a hard time understanding/visualizing how to set this up on a remote system.
(Haven't actually bought the remoterig hardware, so I'm not able to play with it yet, first I need to know everything so I could buy all at once :-) )

It would be nice to actually see everything connected on a drawing. I'm sure Guy already posted some drawings, but they suffer from digital mice I guess!
I currently have 4 virtual com ports: CAT, CW, PTT and KEY; I guess I only need 1 of them for the remote setup. As far as I understood, I could use COM2;
COM1 could be used for the expert amplifier control, right?

So how and where is the microham keyer actually connected? This is still located on the control side, right?

ON4AOI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2013-10-10, 07:49:35 »
I will check my backups to find them again and post them on the reflector again

Guy ON4AOI

guanaco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-10-17, 13:03:49 »
Guy,
Any luck finding back your old drawings?

guanaco

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-11-12, 13:51:08 »
Anyone could help me out with this please?

On the radio side, I just need to connect RRC with radio via DB-9, but what do I need at the control side?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2013-11-12, 14:41:52 »
Hi

it's no problem t control the Expert from a PC via the RRC:s, see links below. To get automatic bandswitching you need a cable between the Expert and the TS-480 CAT port, that cable is shown in the Expert User manual

73 de mike

http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=426

http://new.remoterig.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Expert-Cable-Ex1.pdf

guanaco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-11-12, 16:21:43 »
Hi,

Thanks a lot for reply!
the puzzle is getting more clear now. Still miss some pieces.
Ok, so the expert cable will do the trick, except for automatic bandswitching.

So, then there's one question remaining: CAT (hrd for logging and digital modes).
I need to connect radio with radio-RRC via RS232 cable (COM2), but what is needed on the control side? I do have a microham keyer II, so I guess I need to make my own DB37 -> control-RRC cable? Or can this be done via the USB interface?

It would be good to be able to do automatic bandswitching as well, but since COM2 (CAT) and COM1 (expert -> RRC) are both in use, I don't have other options, right?

Once This thing is sorted out I'll put everything on a drawing, to make life easier for other people with the same setup :-)

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2013-11-12, 16:33:46 »
Hi

The cables on our drawing  plus the CAT cable from Expert to the Radio for Bandswitching is the plain solution to be able to use the Expert PA

I can't help you with the Microham connections, I have no experince of it. I hope Guy or someone else can help you with that

73 de mike

guanaco

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-11-13, 13:18:40 »
Ok. Thanks again for the reply!
Guy, (or maybe someone else?)

Do you know if automatic bandswitching for the expert AND CAT control for the Transciever can be done simultaneously?
I mean, CAT control requires the CAT connector for the TS480 to be connected to COM2 of the Radio RRC, but automatic bandswitch would also require the very same connector on the TS480, so how would this work?

On the control part, CAT could be done via the virtual ports, but we still need to make an interface for audio, right?

(maybe Guy posted it somewhere on his drawings, but most of them are lost on the server)