Author Topic: Winkey  (Read 13851 times)

oh2xx

• View Profile
Winkey
« on: 2013-10-14, 18:17:12 »
Hi,

I tried to configure the Control-RRC to use USB for Winkey to solve my other CW keying issues. Unfortunately I did not see the COMFSK-driver in Windows Device Manager so I reinstalled the Microbit setup manager. After that some new COM-ports appeared: RRC1258 COM0 (COM13), RRC1258 COM1 (COM14), RRC1258 COMExtra (COM15). I already had Microbit RRC VIrtual Comport (COM12) and Microbit RRCMicro (COM4)  there. But still no USB-COMFSK driver listed.

I thought that maybe the COMExtra is a "new" USB-COMFSK but did not get it to work either.

I also set COM1 Mode to "Winkeyer" and set "Use USB Com Port as COM1"=YES to test both "RRC1258 COM0 (COM6)" and RRC1258 COM1 (COM7) but Winkeyer was not found.

I have a K3 twin setup if that matters. Any ideas?

73 de Kari, OH2XX
« Last Edit: 2013-10-15, 09:07:03 by oh2xx »

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Winkey
« Reply #1 on: 2013-10-15, 13:28:13 »
Im not an expert in the portdrivers so I will not say anything about that.

Yes COM3 mode (USB-COMFSK) was introduced to get a separate port for Winkeyer or RTTY functions so you do not have to use one of the transfer ports for communication with the local RRC. The winkeyer function should work on both the separate port com3 and also com1 and 2 and should be enabled the way you describe.

What do mean by Winkeyer was not found ?, Do you mean that the logpogram cannot send CW via the port ?

oh2xx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-10-15, 13:48:06 »

What do mean by Winkeyer was not found ?, Do you mean that the logpogram cannot send CW via the port ?

The logprogram (DX4WIN) does not detect the Winkey. I assume that it tries to open the com port for Winkey and it fails. I have a local winkey on a different com port and it works ok. I also tested the RRC com ports with WKDemo (http://www.k1el.com/) and it was not able to open the com port for Winkey either. The error message says: "Please check com port settings"

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-10-15, 14:47:50 »
Ok

I tested here with the freeware UA9OV CwType, and works. I used RRC com1 set in mode 8 =Winkey and baudrate =1200. Im not sure if the message you get is beacuse TX4WIN don't find the port or if it can't  communicate. You can test with UA9OV CwType to see what happens

73 de mike

oh2xx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-10-15, 21:31:06 »

Tried with UA9OV CWType and the error message is: "Winkey does not answer".   Another message I received was "Writing to WinKey port error!" - that came from the COM3 mode (USB-COMFSK). If I unplug the USB cable then the error message is "COM-port open error".

I tried also the RS232 COM1 connector in the front using a USB-Serial converter - did not work either.

4 hours of testing different configurations today and I am not getting anywhere. But this is a hobby ;-) I would like to find a solution though.

73 de Kari

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2013-10-15, 22:02:42 »
It took me 5 minutes to confirm that it's OK. Did you set baudrate to 1200 baud?

Mike

oh2xx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-10-16, 11:23:28 »
Yes, this should be trivial...

Baud rate was set to 1200. I noticed that there was a conflit between MicroHAM virtual COM ports and RRC virtual COM ports as microHAM router did not launch if I had RRC connected. I reinstalled the Setup manager once more without launching microHAM but that did not help either.

I am sure that the solution is simple in the end - just have to find the root problem...

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2013-10-16, 12:27:23 »
Seems you should try to manually uninstall as many of your serial ports as possible. You may have to use "Show hidden devices" in the Device Manager in order to see them and then uninstall them as you have some kind of conflict among the serial ports going on. Once you have gotten rid of them you could install them in "steps" and see that they work as you add more and more of them.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

oh2xx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-10-16, 20:11:56 »
I took my wife's laptop and installed virtual com ports there. Still no luck. Flashed RRC - no affect. It is time for a short break now.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2013-10-16, 22:09:05 »
Kari,

If you are home tomorrow during the day, I can take a look using Teamviewer. I usually can fix these things.

You can drop me a mail at dj0qn (at) darc.de if you want.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2013-10-17, 08:01:24 »
Kari,

You said that you are not able to get it to work using the RS232 COM1 connector in the front either. That indicates there is something else going on which prevents it from working. If the front COM1 had worked but not the USB COM ports then suspecting the USB COM ports as having some kind of trouble would have been logical.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2013-10-17, 18:09:49 »
I went into Kari's PC:

- I cleaned the USB ports out
- I reconfigured his control RRC to use COM3 as Winkeyer over USB and changed COM1 to inactive
- His radio RRC is configured correctly

I no longer had the old problem where the USB port was blocked, but now it says that the Winkeyer
does not respond. I am at a loss as to what is causing this problem. I have never seen Kari's CW program
before, perhaps there is a compatibility problem between it and the RRC Winkeyer emulation.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

oh2xx

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-10-17, 18:42:31 »

Thanks to Mitch for having a look at my configuration.

The CW program Mitch refers to is "UA9OV CWType". It works ok for my local Winkey (microHAM) and it is the one Jan used in his test setup.

I went over to OH1JT's PC and tried to configure his RRC Winkey both via RRC COMExtra and RRC COM1. Did not get it to work there either.

The FW revision we both use is the latest and Jan must have had that one too so I am totally lost here.

73 de Kari

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2013-10-17, 19:18:49 »
Just a clarification: It was Mike who did the keyer test, not me.

oh2xx

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-10-17, 19:32:44 »
Solved!

I installed the old USB Com drivers (with Setup manager v1.17) and now the Winkey works.

73 de Kari