Author Topic: Transparent Serial Com 1 to Remote TNC  (Read 3635 times)

wd8aww

• View Profile
Transparent Serial Com 1 to Remote TNC
« on: 2013-11-11, 19:48:17 »
I'm experimenting to see if I can configure an unused Com 1 Serial port to talk to a remote PK 232 TNC.  Presently Radio and Control boxes are configured with the front Control Micro-USB as Com 2  for radio control using HRD and work fine. (Icom 706 setup)

I put a USB to Serial adapter to the Com 1 front D-sub on the Control side and attached the PK TNC to the Com 1 port on the Radio side and tried Modes 1, 3,4, and 5 without success with or without RTS/CTS set to yes.  After failing all combinations, I'm lost as to how to make this process look like a pass through serial port.

I used the dumb terminal portion of Airmail to test.  Of note, RTS/CTS light green (seem active) on this program when the PK 232 is directly connected via the above serial/usb adapter to the computer.

I'm sure I'm missing something fundamental but only see Modes 1-8 available as options in this configuration.  Anyone have an idea how to make the serial port behave as a pure pass through?

Company   Microbit
Product   1258
PID   0
Version   4
HW   5
Software   2.68
Bootloader   <= 1.7
Compiler   4.6.2
Build   Feb 20 2013 10:26:52

« Last Edit: 2013-11-11, 20:05:05 by wd8aww »

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Transparent Serial Com 1 to Remote TNC
« Reply #1 on: 2013-11-12, 08:38:13 »
The most transparent mode is mode 1 where characters are sent one by one over the Internet. Check the pinout in the manual, as both COM1 connectors are female they have the same pinning meaning that straight cables can not be used. Be also aware of that there is only one status signal in each direction, Equipment which needs more status signals can not be used.

73 de mike