Author Topic: RRC 1258MkIIs Update problem  (Read 6083 times)

N7QT

• View Profile
    • Email
RRC 1258MkIIs Update problem
« on: 2014-02-22, 21:11:17 »
I'm trying to update my device and am getting an error.

Using Microbit Setup Manager v1.25 states FW/HW version:
Version=006, Firmware=2.25, Bootloader=N/A, HW=006

When trying update my device to v2.78 the update fails with the following sequence:
Failed programming new firmware: Write failed: -1
Transferring firmware..
FW/HW version successfully retrieved
SW Version Successfully retrieved

Suggestions?

-rob

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: RRC 1258MkIIs Update problem
« Reply #1 on: 2014-02-23, 21:04:41 »
Older FW versions have USB issues with certain PCs. A work-around is to upgrade using the web interface. After that the USB/Setup Manager upgrade should work.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

N7QT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-24, 00:19:22 »
To use the web interface don't I need to use Microbit Setup Manager to update the device IP address and subnet mask in order to join my network?

I go to the Setup tab in Setup Manager, click on the button "Get from device" and get to see the devices information in the dialog box(default values).  Even if I make, or don't make a change to the contents of the dialog box, as soon as I press the "Save to device" button, I get the following error:

Unexpected Exception
Exception: Index was out of range. Must be a non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name:index
Module: Form1:Void
SetupGetterBackgroundWorker_DoWork(System.Object,System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs)
Method:ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException
« Last Edit: 2014-02-24, 04:28:30 by N7QT »

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2014-02-24, 08:27:17 »
To use the web interface don't I need to use Microbit Setup Manager to update the device IP address and subnet mask in order to join my network?
Only if you for some reason do not have web interface access already.

I go to the Setup tab in Setup Manager, click on the button "Get from device" and get to see the devices information in the dialog box(default values).  Even if I make, or don't make a change to the contents of the dialog box, as soon as I press the "Save to device" button, I get the following error:

Unexpected Exception
Exception: Index was out of range. Must be a non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name:index
Module: Form1:Void
SetupGetterBackgroundWorker_DoWork(System.Object,System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs)
Method:ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException

Getting this error indicates that something in the setup data is invalid causing problems for Setup Manager to handle the data. It would be useful to have access to a "Export settings(bin)" file from that RRC. (That too requires web interface access)

N7QT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2014-02-24, 21:04:07 »
Invalid data in setup data even after the both 1258 devices reset to factory defaults??? Not good.

I can't use the web interface because my home network isn't on a 192.186.0.x IP range. Therefore I can't reach the default 1258 web servers. I'm also unable to change the 1258 IP address using the Setup Manager application via USB because of this software bug/exception. There really should be a jumper setting to allow the device to use DHCP, which would allow me to get to the web server.

Looks like I will have to setup a router/network for 192.168.0.x just to get access to the 1258 web server.  So far this has been a pretty painful experience.  :-(

-rob

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2014-02-24, 22:43:09 »
You do not need to change the router, just set your PC to a fixed IP in the same net as th RRC for example 192.168.0.100. You can use the router as a switch or connect direct to the RRC. Things like this can happen when Microsoft change their OS and you do not follow with updating the RRC firmware.  it's also possible to set the IP address or set it to DHCP by connecting a serial cable to com1 but changing the PC IP is a 2 minute job.

73 de mike

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2014-02-25, 09:01:44 »
Invalid data in setup data even after the both 1258 devices reset to factory defaults??? Not good.
Yes, it is "not good". It's one of the problems we all face that no matter how hard we try sometimes there are problems. Sorry for that... But since you brought to our attention what happens when using Setup Manager v1.25 on an old RRC firmware(2.25) I have been able to find what goes wrong in Setup Manager and fixed/released a new version which you can download here:

http://www.remoterig.com/firmwares/MicrobitSetupManager_v1.26_2014-02-25.zip

N7QT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2014-02-25, 16:01:39 »
Jan,
Thank you very much for the update. I was able to change the devices IP address, then update the firmware in both devices. The devices are now communicating over my internal home network. 

Next I will try to transmit using my Kenwood TS480 on CW/SSB to test the strapping.

-rob