Author Topic: RRC-1258 with K3 mini remote - digimodes with Remote Ham Radio  (Read 7938 times)

DL9DAK|N9DAK

• View Profile
Hello,

I set up a K3 mini remote with a RRC-1258 MkII interface connected via a RRMINICBL cable. The K3 mini is also connected via USB to a WIndows 7 PC. The usb drivers are installed.

So I start testing with a ssb and all works fine but I want to use digimodes and so I setup Ham Radio Deluxe 6. CAT works and I can receive and decode digimode signals via the USB audio codec. The only problem is that the audio level on the usb codec connection is very low and the level depends on the position of the AF level knob on the K3 mini. I thought that the level on the usb audio codec connection is independend of the AF knob and always offering full scale level.

So I try to send psk data via the Ham radio Deluxe.  If I am transmitting I can monitor (with K3 mini monitor function) some very short chirp sound/clicks only. I see RF out signals on the Remote Ham Radio Web interface only then these short chirps/clics appear but no psk data stream.

In the Ham Radio Deluxe software I can see the generated signal in the monitor panel and I can also see the psk TX modulation in the windows audio mixer level bargraph but there is no psk data signal on the K3 TX site. I try normal USB mode or data mode A but the same problem.

I thought the problem will be usb connection and so I am using an stereo audio cable between the headphone out of the PC and the MIC in of the K3 mini but with the same result: no audio on TX site ...

So my questions are
1) why is the receiving audio level so weak and why is it not independed of the AF knob.
2) why is there no audio signal on the K3 TX site if I am using digimode/usb audio codec?

Any idea?
In checked also the jumpers inside the RRC-1258 but they seems to be OK (J1 left open all other set). In the bridge/IC socket I saw there is a resistor set as factory default instead of the wire for the connection to the microphone in port of the microphone connector. Is this correct for the K3?

regards
Peter
DL9DAK | N9DAK

k6ufo

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello Peter, I operate digital modes (mostly RTTY) using a K3/0-Mini and a
remote K3. I operate direct to my own K3, and on RemoteHamRadio.com 
A description of how I do it is available on my QRZ.com page for
K6UFO. Under "Articles" near the bottom of the page, look for:
 K6UFO's How to Operate Digital Modes on RemoteHamRadio.com

To respond to some of your particular questions:

1) The received audio level is dependent on the AF knob, because only the
"Speaker" audio is being returned from the remote K3, and it varies with
the AF knob.

2) There is no audio signal on the K3 TX site using the USB audio
codec because it does not carry audio, only rig Control, PTT, CW
keying. Not audio.

Your transmit audio needs to go (attenuated) into the K3/0-Mini Mic
input, or into the AUX/Mic input on the Control RRC-1258. Otherwise there
will be no audio to transmit at the radio. I do not know of any way to
use the USB connection to do this with the default settings for a K3/0-Mini  and
RRC-1258 remote system from Elecraft.

You cannot monitor the actual transmitted audio with the K3/0-Mini
"MONitor" function unless you have specifically enabled that in your
configuration by settiing up Full Duplex and Continuous RTP Tx.
(RRC User Manual page 59.)
Otherwise, you are hearing a locally generated signal from your HRD/
laptop. You would know if you were really monitoring the transmitted signal
by the time delay.

I think you have assumptions about how it should work that are not the
same as the actual functioning described in the K3 Remote Owner's Manual
and the RemoteRig_RRC1258-MkII_Users_manual

Good luck,
Mark  K6UFO

DL9DAK|N9DAK

• View Profile
Hello Mark  (K6UFO),

many thanks for the reply. Ok so I have to use the MIC In/SPK Out on the K3 remote and connect these to the PCs audio sound card. I thought USB works also in the TX direction because the windows system detects an audio codec on the USB of the K3 remote but it seems to be not transport any audio signal. What a pity - USB would be great for easy handling.

I will read your publications on your web site - very interesting. 

thanks for your answer
regards
Peter
N9DAK/DL9DAK

DL9DAK|N9DAK

• View Profile
Hello,

so today I checked the remote system (Remnote Ham Radio) with another ham here in germany. So the status is as follow:

1) The control of the K3 and also SSB/phonie TX/RX works perfekt.
2) If I try digimode there will be only some short bursts (a second and the about 5 up to 10 seconds nothing an then another burst) of audio and no continuously signal.

For digimode I use the headphone output of the PC connected with a stereo cable to the K3mini remote Mic Input. Only ground and tip are connected, ring is open. If I send high levels of audio I can hear the PSK/RTTY signal in the K3 loudspeaker (with very sound level) and so the input signal seems to be ok but on the TX side there are only these short burst audible. I try USB-mode and also digimode A for PSK but the result is the same.

May be the impedance of the headphone output is a problem?? I don't now so if anybody has an idea please let me know ...

Regards
Peter

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Peter,

I suggest you speak to Brandon at Elecraft. He designed the K3/0 Mini.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VE4RK

• View Profile
Hello

I was wondering if this issue had been resolved? I was trying to set up my K3S and K3 mini to the RRC1258 system and have pretty much the same problem. I have ssb but no cw or digi modes.  When trying these modes I get short bursts of rf every 10 or 15 seconds, other than that rf level is only 1 bar. I can see the data transmitting on my waterfall but no rf other than the short bursts.

VO1HP

• View Profile
    • VO1HP
    • Email
I operate JT65 on 1838khz on regular basis and always use the SPKRS and MIC jack on the side of the Mini with stereo cables to the line IN and OUT jacks on the PC.  Use WSJT-X and it is working all Ok....

73 Frank VO1HP
Frank
VO1HP
K3Mini-K3-RemoteRig