Author Topic: CW connections for RemoteRig and IC-706 MKIIG  (Read 5639 times)

wb4gcs

• View Profile
    • Email
CW connections for RemoteRig and IC-706 MKIIG
« on: 2014-09-30, 04:01:17 »
I'm connecting CW capabilities for my IC 706 MKIIG.  I'm using a paddle with either the remoterig keyer or the Icom keyer -- which ever works.

I get from the RemoteRig manual that the paddle connection goes into the control RRC.

I'm confused about the connection between the Radio RRC and the radio.  In one place, it suggests connecting a stereo cable from the radio RRC to the radio paddle input, leaving the keyer function in the radio.  In another place, it suggests connecting only the sleeve and tip to the radio, leaving the keyer function in the RRC.

Can anyone tell me how to get it right?

Thanks,
Jim

VA2MM

• View Profile
Re: CW connections for RemoteRig and IC-706 MKIIG
« Reply #1 on: 2014-09-30, 17:59:46 »
I think you definitely want to use the keyer in the RRC and only use straight CW keying from the RRC-Radio into the '706. If you were to use the '706's internal keyer, the latency would drive you nuts because there would be a delay between your paddle movements and whatever (if any) side-tone that you hear.

When you use the RRC keyer, the side-tone is generated locally and it sounds normal with no delay.

Good luck

Mark VA2MM
« Last Edit: 2014-09-30, 18:02:11 by VA2MM »

wb4gcs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2014-10-01, 00:27:29 »
Mark:
Thanks, I understand all that you say.

I am seeking clarification on exactly how to connect the radio RRC to the 706 Radio.

The manual is a bit ambiguous.
Thanks!
Jim
wb4gcs@amsat.org

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2014-10-01, 11:16:37 »
Hi

You should use the straight key input in the radio and setup one output in the Radio-RRC to do the keying. If it's a stereo cable shown somewhere  it's beacuse they are more standard and easy to buy, the middle ring wire is not used then.

73 de mike

wb4gcs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2014-10-03, 21:49:10 »
Mike:
I THINK this works.  Haven't yet been able to make a QSO, but radio seems to transmit....

Thanks,
Jim