Author Topic: "modified VGA cable" between the K3 & KPA 500 for remote turn on/off  (Read 4343 times)

ae3t

• View Profile
    • Email
In setting up my own K3 & KPA500 for remote operation I have to make up a new interface cable from the K3 to the KPA which includes an additional wire for remote on off. It is basically a VGA cable with a wire added. How have most of the users here made up this cable? From scratch with a set of DB 15 connectors, or modified an existing VGA cable if you can get into the connectors as most of them are molded?

sm2sum

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi
Because some pins were cut I ordered a KPAK3AUX Optional KPA500 to K3 AUX Cable Set from Elecraft and just opened up the cable cut 11 and 8 and wired together.
11 from K3 to 8 from KPA500.
One of them was hard to find inside a BLUE cable.
Then pogrammed macro on PF1 for on/off
Have a look on manual page 15

Good luck

Peder
K3 twin
Mobile internet
Dovado router

ae3t

• View Profile
    • Email
I already have one of those cables and was avoiding cutting it up. I guess you only have to cut 2 wires internal to the cable and re connect them. Can you please give me the colors for each end? Will this cable mod stop any other function used on this cable when not used with the RRC's?

Thanks,
Howard

sm2sum

• View Profile
    • Email
OK
Yes you only cut two of them.
Can not tell for sure it is on remotesite ...but I think 11 is purple and and 8 is bare and inside a thicker blue.
Cable connection page 19 in KPA500 manual show
8..have no connection
11...inhibit
73,s Peder
K3 twin
Mobile internet
Dovado router