Author Topic: Port Forwarding Question  (Read 6024 times)

N4RA

• View Profile
Port Forwarding Question
« on: 2015-01-20, 21:59:44 »
Thanks for the recent help.  I have the basic functions working now on my home Wi-Fi.  I was able to set the port forwarding on the ISP router with no problem. 

My remote location will use a Netgear AirCard 770S cellular router.  In trying to set the port forwarding specified in K3-mini Manual I see I cannot set BOTH TCP and UDP protocols for ports 13001, 13002 and 13003 - one or the other only.

Is it necessary to specify both protocols?

Secondly, I will need to use a "bridge" of some sort to interface the wireless hotspot to the remote RRC.  Will that "bridge" need to be elaborate enough to support both protocols also?  I ask this because I planned to use a Linksys WES610N, but it doesn't appear to support port forwarding at all.

Thanks,
Dick N4RA

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Port Forwarding Question
« Reply #1 on: 2015-01-20, 22:28:16 »
Dick,

Only UDP is required for 13001 - 13003. TCP is required for the web port. Both at one time are not required. This is covered in the networking checklist that I sent you.

I looked at the WES610N specs; this is only a bridge, which means it acts like a network card. This has nothing to do with protocols, that is irrelevant.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

N4RA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-01-21, 01:12:07 »
Thanks, Mitch:
I followed your guideline for the most part.  The port forwarding seemed out of line with the directions provided by Elecraft.  The K3-mini Manual clearly stated to set 192.168.1.170 ports 13000, 13001 and 13002 to BOTH TCP and UDP.  I was able to do this on my home ISP router, but not my remote hotspot.

Your guideline says: forward the ports: 12000 (UDP), 11000 (UDP), SIP port you gave (UDP) and web server port you gave (TCP). 
I don't know if these different instructions are equivalent, or not.  I don't know enough to make an informed decision.

I don't understand your comment on the bridge.   Is that what is needed if the router has proper port forwarding or would I need a different unit to "convert" from WIFI to hardwire RRC RJ45?

Dick

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-01-21, 06:08:05 »
Hi Dick,

Not sure why Elecraft has that in their manual. I suspect it was an attempt to be "idiot proof", since a setting of "both" has no
negative effect and the user does not have to understand protocols. It is neither right nor wrong, but is not necessary.

Since not all routers have the setting "both", my instructions provide only the correct protocol used, otherwise believe that I
would run into problems with support if I were to tell people to use "both" and they don't find this in their router.

The bridge is a bridge, not a router. It acts the same as a wireless network card in your PC and just connects a device to
a wireless network, rather than using ethernet. This has nothing to do with port forwards, a network card is agnostic.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX