Author Topic: Long distance a Problem?  (Read 4617 times)

Gerryb

• View Profile
Long distance a Problem?
« on: 2015-04-06, 17:51:28 »
I ran twin with Yaesu 857 over a long LAN very well in Antarctica, over about about 2km
https://bulger.co.uk/radio
I used the setup well over the internet from office to home radio in the town over some 10km (probably much further, GOK how it was routed). I used the  Twin units on my LAN at home thus keeping the transceiver close to the antennas.

I thought I would attempt to listen in on local chat in Australia on my VK4BGL right from here in the UK, G3WIP.  Alas the same setup, including open ports, does not work.  I hear relay clicking at this end and the 857's screen flashes then nothing.

I had this fault one before within my home LAN, resolved by changing firmware version to an older one.  Once it failed from here I put the latest firmware on both units.

The latency of 360-400ms to my Cairns Australian connection from UK on ping. 

I have tried connecting direct and via a VPN to my Vigor router, but the error is the same.

Is there anything stupid I am missing?   Are there some settings I can make to compensate for the 380ms delay, if that is the problem.

Thanks

Gerry

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Long distance a Problem?
« Reply #1 on: 2015-04-06, 17:57:34 »
Hi

360-400 ms is too long latency for FT-857. FT-857 is about the only  radio which is sensitive to latency. With a TS-480 or IC-7100 it's no problem as there is no ack to the messages in their protocols

73 de mike

Gerryb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-04-06, 19:04:53 »
Thanks Mike,  That makes sense. Thankfully I bought my other rig over to use, as I suspected this might not work.

What is the top limit on latency for the 857?  I assume 897 has the same problem as very similar devices.

Gerry

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-04-06, 19:48:50 »
Hi

We do not have any documentation about it but some where between 200-300 ms I think the limit is.

897 does not have such limit, and 857 do not have it either if you use the CAT interface, it's the communication between the front panel and the radio which has a different protocol.

73 d emike

Gerryb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-04-07, 12:08:56 »
Oh shame.  I cannot exactly pop round to the Oz shack and fix it with a CAT interface. Shall have to wait till next time.

I suspect I would need to do it that way for the new app, when it can work with 857s.  Thanks for your prompt reply.