Author Topic: wrong firmware in the Webswitch  (Read 8801 times)

K1UO - Larry

• View Profile
    • Email
wrong firmware in the Webswitch
« on: 2015-05-19, 17:27:49 »
I ordered a new Webswitch early this year and just got around to taking it off the shelf and trying it locally here on the LAN before moving it to the remote site.  Somehow in my bumbling I have managed to load the wrong firmware into the  Webswitch 1216H unit.  I connected it to the usb ok and can access the switch via the Microbit Setup Manager and I get a "device connected" notification but the FW/HW version is indicating the version which is in my local RRC control unit.  I disconnected the RRC and just tried connecting the Webswitch to the router but the router is not recognizing it.
I tried an advanced reset of the Webswitch to default values but it comes up and asks me if I want to set default settings in the RRC!.  Also when I ask for the HW/FW version from the unit it comes back with  Ver: 007,  Firmware 2.84, Bootloader 1.10 and HW 008.

I tried just loading the new Webswitch 1216H ver 4.15 via USB and it goes through the loading process and fails with the (Invalid File Content) failure.

Can anyone help me out of this mess please. I don't know how I managed to load the wrong firmware in the first place but its done and I just need to get back to the correct firmware somehow.

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: wrong firmware in the Webswitch
« Reply #1 on: 2015-05-20, 10:06:53 »
Which version of Microbit Setup Manage are you using? 1.27? If so you could connect the Webswitch to your LAN and use 'Net info/find' -> 'Find devices' to see if it show up there. If it does and is 'reachable'(has an IP address accessible from your LAN) the try browse to it. If it isn't reachable the use 'Config' to give it an reachable IP address and then try browsing to it. The reason for this is that I would like to make sure what firmware the Webswitch has, as it should not be possible to flash an RRC firmware into a Webswitch.  But there could be issues with having more than one device(RRC/WS) simultaneously connected to the PC while using Setup Manager making it looking like for ex the WS has the RRC's firmware.

You could also try disconnecting every RRC/WS from your PC, run Setup Manager and see that it finds no devices, connect the WS and see if it finds it and if it indeed shows the RRC's firmware version.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

K1UO - Larry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-05-20, 16:52:05 »
Hi Jan,  thanks for replying...    I am using Microbit Setup Manager version 1.27.   I have disconnected all RRC/WS  (I only have the one Control RRC here on site as well as the Webswitch I am having problems with).

I just connected the Webswitch only to the PC usb and it shows up with the firmware version  and IP number as my Control RRC which is disconnected from the PC and the Router.   When I connected the Webswitch to the LAN router side and click on FIND DEVICES I get a 'no devices found' message. [The info in the Network Info/Find window indicates "NETWORK DISCONNECTED" and displays all the info associated with the IP address of the local Control RRC here)

I connected the Webswitch to my router and it does NOT get recognized.  I noted that the Network Info has changed now from my local RRC IP address back to the default 192.168.0.227 and the DNS and Gateway are also subnet 0.  I cant find the Config tab on the Microbit setup manager to change the info to what I want on subnet 1 which my Asus AC68 router is on.  Of course running the FIND again results in NO DEVICES FOUND as expected.

I found the CONFIG you mention...  It was hard to see since its greyed out.   Yesterday I got to the window that showed the serial number etc and allow me to change the IP, Gateway and DNS settings to my Router but still I could not read or Find the Webswitch device as it never connected to the Network here..  Today I cant even get that far yet.

Any suggestions for me to try?

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-05-20, 17:46:50 »
Strange as it appears, it seems the WS is running the RRC firmware after all. But only partial since its network stuff does not work. But since USB since to be working it might be possible to trick the RRC program to allow an update using a modified WS firmware image. I have emailed you such a firmware which you can use to try change the firmware back to WS using USB and Setup Manager. Note though that it is a beta version(HAM 4.18) so if it works to change the firmware then downgrade again to WS HAM 4.17.

K1UO - Larry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2015-05-20, 18:14:13 »
File received and all updated...  Now on proper IP and recognized as such.  ... AWESOME!!  Thanks so much Jan. ;D

Can the relays  1-5 be used to provide grounds to my HI-Z 8 circle array controller by using 4 of the relays on/off to match the HI-Z receiving system relay switching truth table for direction control?

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2015-05-21, 10:24:33 »
File received and all updated...  Now on proper IP and recognized as such.  ... AWESOME!!  Thanks so much Jan. ;D
Excellent!!

Can the relays  1-5 be used to provide grounds to my HI-Z 8 circle array controller by using 4 of the relays on/off to match the HI-Z receiving system relay switching truth table for direction control?
Do you mean this:
http://www.webswitch.se/wp/?page_id=563

K1UO - Larry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2015-05-22, 00:50:47 »
Not quite Jan...  Its a receive vertical array that can be switched in any of 8 directions around the compass using just 3 control leads that switch relays via applying a ground to a combination of the 3 control leads to select any of 8 different compass headings for a full 360 degree coverage.  default is NO grounds on leads 1,2 and 3 and causes the default array direction to be NE.  and if applying a ground to all 3 control leads at once causes the receive direction to be from the North for example.

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2015-05-22, 09:32:52 »
Sorry! I mixed up Antenna selection and Array switch!  ::)

On this page you could enter the name and degree of the 8 different directions:

http://www.webswitch.se/wp/?page_id=530

Then on this page:

http://www.webswitch.se/wp/?page_id=491

you control the array switch. In your case it would look more like this:

K1UO - Larry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2015-05-24, 14:43:07 »
Yes...that's exactly what Im after..  many thanks...  Nice products to work with also.

Regards
Larry  K1UO

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2015-05-25, 08:52:04 »
Yes...that's exactly what Im after..  many thanks...  Nice products to work with also.

Regards
Larry  K1UO
You are welcome!  8)