Author Topic: Network Noise Problems  (Read 11518 times)

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Network Noise Problems
« on: 2010-09-15, 18:29:53 »
I have been trying to resolve a problem for several weeks now, but am not really getting anywhere. Maybe someone else has had a similar problem and knows the cause.

Most of the time, I have a type of crackling "popcorn" type of noise on the control side. Often it even gets worse, with "holes" in the audio, as if the internet connection is bad. Although I believed till now it is caused by the router, I am not sure. The network is fast and should not be the cause. The RRC's show no SIP error. I have exchanged many mails with AVM's support, but they can not find a problem from their side, and the router is designed for high-speed video and audio streaming (I have IPTV installed). Removing other devices from my network does not have any effect.

Here are some details:
rig: TS-480
DSL control side: VDSL mit 50Mb down and 10mB up (T-Home)
DSL radio side: ADSL2+ with 16Mb down and 1mB up (Alice)
Router control side: AVM Fritz!Box 7390
Router radio side: DrayTek Vigor 2910
both LANs use only gigabit switches
RRC: SIP port 5090 (changed due to VoIP routers), have tried various settings for jitter buffer, delay and packet size without noticing a difference

If no one else has a tip, I will do some other types of testing, i.e. taking the control RRC and TS-480 head to another location, or maybe try a different router. This is really a head scratcher.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Network Noise Problems
« Reply #1 on: 2010-09-15, 19:30:26 »
Yes

First of all try with the control from an other place so you can determine in what end you have the problem.

73 de mike

dk3ww

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-11, 09:21:29 »
Hello, i have the same problem here. It comes definitely from the control side. Two other friends of our club can use the remote connection to the radio without these noise problems. I have changed the router ( AVM Fritz!Box Fon 7170 ) to a netgaer router but nothing has changed.
Who can help?
73 - Uwe
DK3WW

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-01-11, 10:04:23 »
Hi Uwe,

I have never been able to completely solve the problem. It appears that the RRC
is very sensitive to anything else in the network that generates a lot of traffic, so
the best method is to make sure everything is off when using RemoteRig.

I found the main problem on the station side, which only has 1Mb upload: I have
two IP cameras for monitoring. When I turn them off, most noise is gone. On the
remote side, I need to make sure nothing is generating traffic, including web browsers(!).

We are in the process of making a large installation for several users, and early tests show
the same problem, especially short interruptions every minute or two. It will be difficult to
resolve this, since it is located on a remote mountaintop, but we will try. I suspect also a
camera located there, which is on a different subnet. I am not sure how everything is connected,
since I don't have control over that network. It will be a challenge, I'm afraid.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2011-01-11, 11:05:01 »
Which "Eth-type"("IP Settings" page) are you using?
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2011-01-11, 11:11:21 »
I have tried "Auto", "Auto, prefer 10 Mbit", and "100FDX'.

Should I switch to half duplex? Would that make sense?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2011-01-11, 11:26:03 »
It's not recommendable to use 10HDX, 10FDX, 100HDX or 100FDX as those modes forces the network into respective mode without the other end to be informed by that. "Auto" and "Auto, prefer 10 Mbit" on the other hand negotiates which speed etc to use.

The "Auto, prefer 10 Mbit" mode should be most "silent", but you don't notice any difference?

Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2011-01-11, 11:30:08 »
No, that is what it is set to now and doesn't make a difference.

dk3ww

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2011-01-11, 11:34:56 »
Thank you Mitch for your fast answer.
I have already tested all ethernet settings. The noise don't change.
I am running 100 FDX at present.
I use wlan  in my flat with repeaters in addition to the LAN.
I will switch off all these devices next time and looks, what changes.
My idea was to hear Amateurradio Stations again with remote operation because I have strong local noise from my naiborhood.
Unfortunately, the problems have got more. I remain optimistic and will find the main interference source.

73 - Uwe
DK3WW

dk3ww

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2011-01-11, 22:47:38 »
My last test was to switch off all network devices in my flat. I used the Fritzbox router and the RRC only. But nothing has changed... :-(

73 - Uwe
DK3WW

dk3ww

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2011-01-20, 11:46:57 »
Hello ahain,
yesterday I tested another RRC-1258 MKII (borrowed from DL5CW). The result was: All OK, no more noise. Is my remote box defect or is it the newest firmware i have installed some days before?
The next step is to test a complet reset of my control box. I will test it tonight and then i will report the results.

73 - Uwe
DK3WW

f1tmy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-01-21, 05:21:57 »
I had a similar problem after an upgrade. Perhaps could you test this :
- change the settings of audio on the two units (eg if you have 11 change to 8),
- reboot the two units
- change to the old preset
- reboot the two units.

For me it was ok.
73''

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2011-01-21, 07:55:54 »
Hi

The RRC.s generate extremly low noise levels, Ethernet by it's nature generate som noise, 100 Mbit more then 10 Mbit so a Jan says always use Preferred 10 Mbit. Even if the RRC fullfills CE and FCC demands a cheap chineese router or switch may not do it, so noise can come backwards from the switch etc.

One guy sent be his RRC and say there nust be something wrong with it, as soon as he connect it he gets S9 + 30 dB noise on 80m. I checked it with a spectrum analyzer and even put an antenna wire to a HF rig direct on the pcb and no s meter indication. Anyway  I replace the pcb and before sending it to him I did the same measurements and took a photo of the setup and S-meter which I attached. When he got it the had the same problem, but at that moment he understood that the problem was local and he found out that it was his switched power supply which he connected to the RRC which started to generate the noise as soon as there was a load connected to it.

73 de mike

dk3ww

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2011-01-21, 09:03:26 »
Hello Mike, 
no, this isn't correct.  I use a rope router of AVM Fritz!Box Fon 7270.  Everything is clean if I connect the RRC from Andy, DL5CW. I use the same configuration but the Firmware is older in Andys RRC and the hardware rev. is 4. In my RRC i installed the newest Fw yesterday and it hase the hardware rev. 5. What can i do? The reset has changed nothing... The noise is terrible in my own RRC.

HW? 73 - Uwe
DK3WW

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: 2011-01-21, 09:40:20 »
What do you mean by noise is terrible.

I understood it as it was noise radiated over the air. Or do you hear it in your speaker connected to the RRC ?

Better description of your problem is needed, We cannot guess.

/mike