Author Topic: Remote On/Off Antenna Connect/Disconnect for Lightning Protection  (Read 22198 times)

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
For anyone interested in such things this 40s video of a motorized antenna connect/disconnect has been uploaded for viewing.

w1asb

• View Profile
Very cool , how much is it and can this be used along with RRC boxes ?
Thanks
Adam

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
Adam, it looks like a home made stuff.

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
requested info and then some...
« Reply #3 on: 2015-07-22, 20:02:19 »
Here's more detail of the particular installation shown in this thread: The Polyphasers aren't strictly necessary but in my case they were already in place. Plus, since they are well grounded, using them probably adds protection from a major strike that might arc over to the other side.  Lastly, the SO-259 side needs to be very securely mounted to prevent any movement.  The Polyphasers provide for that.

The Polyhasers were, by far, the most expensive item.  Technical Distributors, Inc. sells them to Hams for $62.84 delivered.

The next most expensive item is the 6" stroke 12V linear actuator which cost $46.95 on eBay, delivered.

The 12VDC power supply for the actuator cost $12.83 on eBay, delivered.

Drawer slides found at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc., were excessively long.  I found a pair 10" slides on Amazon for $13.04, delivered.

It was very important to pay strict attention to the fixed position of the Polyphaser SO-259 centers.  To that end a strong but thin plywood base plate was needed.  Reason for that: relative to the SO-259 centers, the drawer slide thickness "lifts" the base plate and creates a substantial mismatch.  To solve that problem a thin, 3/16" X 12" X 12" piece of 4-ply aircraft grade plywood was used.  Source: Sig Manufacturing website - $12.63 delivered.

The push-on PL-259 adapters were bought on eBay from W5SWL for $15.51 delivered for the four used.

The 1/8" thick by 1-1/2" wide aluminum angle can be bought in various lengths from a hardware store.

To make the thing able to be worked remotely an IP power switch is required.  Remoterig makes one but I already had another version (IP-9258) so I used it.  Also is used a small DPDT 12V relay.  When energized by the station's main 12V supply the relay sends correct 12V polarity to the actuator to make the coax and rotator cable connections.  With a smartphone and IP Power's free software, the IP switch is used to turn on the following:  Alinco 12V 32A main power supply (which signals the small relay to send actuator power and connect coax), 12V standby power to an RF amplifier, 12V power to an RS-232 conversion PCB (from DF9GR) installed in a HAM-IV control box (the 110vac for the box is provided by the IP switch), 12V power to a flourescent lamp directly above the operating position.  Even at home those things are turned on with my phone.  Then a K3 is manually turned on with its' front panel on/off button.  When operating remotely the K3 gets turned on with a K3/0-mini which is connected to the RRC-1258 box.  Also for remote operation is installed in a laptop running Win7 the following software: DXlab suite for logging, spots, etc, YO3DMU's "PstRotatorAz" for the beam position, and SPE's "Term_2K_232.exe" for amplifier control.

A Lantronix EDS2100 2-port server is needed to assist communication between PstRotatorAz and Term_2K_232.exe and their respective hardware (rotator/RF amp).  EDS2100s are rather pricey.  Found the one on eBay for $209.58, delivered.

Finally, before leaving home a webcam is placed in front of a P3 panadapter.  A corresponding app on a smartphone relays band condition information surprisingly well.

sm3jgg

• View Profile
    • Email
Nice to see that someone more have done one....

Make something similar in 2012 , and it`s still operational.
https://sites.google.com/site/sm3jggwebcac/
and a little movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kcHPvUrNK4

73`s de SM3JGG Staffan

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
Yes, good work!  And it is your system that I first discovered many months ago while researching the lightning protection subject.  It gave me enthusiasm!  Later, when I got ready to do the work, I again searched but could not find your demos.  So, thank you for your post, now I have bookmarked.  Being able to quickly and easily connect/disconnect all antennas literally from anywhere is a fantastically helpful luxury.   73 de "Art" K4FWJ