Author Topic: Almost There with TS-480  (Read 5397 times)

W7HLO

• View Profile
    • Email
Almost There with TS-480
« on: 2015-07-25, 18:35:59 »
After two weeks of battling "Operator Error Syndrome" I've got my TS-480 working except for one small detail.  The volume level on the panel speaker is too low even with the audio knob turned all the way up.  Can this be adjusted via a setting in the RRC and if so which parameter?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Almost There with TS-480
« Reply #1 on: 2015-07-25, 22:37:36 »
There is no need for that, the deafult settings will give the same audio level as when the panel is connected direct to the radio. If you do not get it then some cables are bad,maybe the ground wires is not connected.

73 de mike

W7HLO

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-07-25, 22:44:46 »
Mike when I connect the panel directly to the radio I seldom need to put the audio gain knob about 50%.  With it operating remote, and the knob turned all the way up, I can barely hear the audio.  I realize this is a very subjective measurement but I would say that the audio volume when turned all the way up is less than 1/2 what I experience when the panel is connected directly to the radio.

What ground wires are you referring to?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-07-25, 22:52:48 »
pin 1 and 6 is in the TLL jack is speaker audio. One of the connections may be bad. Another reason can be if there is a "extra" red strap which is placed wrong so it makes a short for the audio signal. There should not be any strap for the speaker audio if you use TS-480

73 de mike

W7HLO

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2015-07-27, 18:07:17 »
Thanks Mike.  I've checked the straps so many times now that I think I have them memorized.  They are all set to configuration #1 per the manual.  I've also tried three different cables from the panel to the TTL jack.  At this point nothing seems to have helped.  I'm going back to my home QTH next weekend and will try swapping out the cable between the radio RRC and the transceiver. 

If that doesn't solve the problem I'll probably plug an amplified set of computer speakers into the  Control RRC to boost the audio level.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2015-07-27, 19:59:26 »
dont'change cables on the radio site, the audio level is perfect when i listen here. I tested just now again

"codec out gain" in the Control RRC is the setting which control the speaker output level and it should be set to 255

73 de mike

W7HLO

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2015-07-27, 21:26:50 »
Wow - thank you very much for checking.  I do appreciate your efforts.

I've double checked and the Codex Out Gain is in fact set to 255.  Guess i will need to pick up s cheap set of amplified computer speakers.