Author Topic: Have it now working EXCEPT  (Read 5432 times)

W7HLO

• View Profile
    • Email
Have it now working EXCEPT
« on: 2015-09-11, 00:27:17 »
I have the MkII's working with my TS-480 except for one issue.  Some times it works great.  Other times it cuts in and out about every half second.  It does this when remote over the internet and also with both boxes on my local network.  Sometimes if I reboot my control RRC the problem goes away, sometimes it doesn't.  So far I've been unable to recreate the problem consistently.  Some times it does this and other times not.  When I say it cuts in and out, I'm referring to received audio.  My panel stays lit and all other functionality seems to be okay.  I haven't been able to try transmitting when it's doing this so can't say if transmitting is cutting in and out or not.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Have it now working EXCEPT
« Reply #1 on: 2015-09-11, 07:11:29 »
Make sure that SIP ALG is turned off in the routers. If that isn't it, try turning off the router filewalls to
see if that has any effect. Note that if using NAT (DHCP) and personal firewalls, you probably can live
without it on if this solves your problom.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W7HLO

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-09-14, 18:22:27 »
Thank you for your response Mitch.  I've spent the past week or so going through the manual for my router, examining every menu it has, and doing on-line research.  I've been unable to find any SIP ALG setting.  It's an older router and perhaps doesn't have that feature (Buffalo WHR-HP-G54).  I was about to turn off intrusion protection but before I did I checked the log file and found that I've been getting hit with SYN Flood Attacks on a frequent and regular basis.  I have no idea what these are or whether they pose a danger but am hesitant to turn off protection.

I'm leaving later today for 3 weeks so won't have access to the home router until I return.  In the meantime I'll be working the rig remotely and see if I can find a pattern to the pulsing in and out, or a way to make it occur.

Dale

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-09-14, 18:49:11 »
Hi Dale,

I took a quick look at the manual, but also didn't see SIP ALG. Note however that it needs to be off on both ends to work, so
only looking at one side's router isn't enough.

Try it remotely from a different location and see if the problem persists. If it does, then I suggest that you replace your router.
This is actually quite common, since a lot of routers out there are garbage.

I can also take a Teamviewer look if needed, but am in the process of moving from Germany to Florida and still working at the
same time, so time is tight right now.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W7HLO

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2015-09-22, 07:13:08 »
Mitch when I first posted this thread I had the Control unit and the Radio unit both on the same network so there was only that one router in the picture.  I've since taken the Control unit 1200 miles away and the problem persists.  However, given the fact that it was a problem when they were on the same network I'd have to conclude that if it's a router problem it would be that router on my home network.

I'm a little bothered by that concept because we ran two VOIP phone lines and a fax line through that router for a couple of years with out a single issue.  Also, I've been testing this thing for the past 10 days or so and can now duplicate the problem.  It goes something like this.  If I remove the power from the control unit and let it sit unused for 30-60 minutes when I power it back up it works fine.  Once it has been on for about 45 minutes it starts to cut in and out.  Remove the power and let it sit for awhile and the problem goes away.  I am beginning to think there is a thermal issue with this control unit.  I'm going to continue to explore that possibility in addition to replacing my home router.  I'll report my findings but in the meantime if anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears.

W7HLO

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2015-09-23, 17:19:57 »
Mitch,
Something you posted on the other forum gave me an idea.  Next time I'm home I'm going to hook the two boxes directly to one another with Cat 5 and take the router completely out of the equation.  If that solves the problem then I'll know for certain that it's a router issue.  I wouldn't have thought to try that if I hadn't seen your other posting.

Thanks.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2015-09-23, 20:40:24 »
Sounds like a good idea, Dale.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W7HLO

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2015-10-23, 17:21:03 »
Well I've been home for 3 weeks now with the two RRC's on the same network and I'll be darned it I can get them to stutter.  The ambient temperatures are a lot lower than the last time I was home so I even tried warming up the control RRC and the 480 panel with a hair dryer and still have a rock solid connection.  I'm going back to Arizona on Monday so will see what happens from down there.