Author Topic: Wireless Card issue?  (Read 4929 times)

ng1p

• View Profile
    • Email
Wireless Card issue?
« on: 2017-01-04, 19:59:30 »
I got a pair of remoterigs for Christmas. I first updated the firmware to the latest version. The radio side is connected to the wired network via ethernet and the control side is using the Microbit wireless card.

The problem I am seeing is when I power down the control RR and then power it back on it doesn't always connect back to the home wireless network. I have to unplug the power cord and wait a few minutes and then power it back on. Some time I have to go thru this 3 to 5 times before it connects. I see the samething when I use my phone as a hotspot. Did I get a bad wireless card? I would assume this should just work every time. I have tried this with 4 other wireless routers and I get the same effect everytime. Sometimes its works the first time but normally its a 3 to 5 power on/off event. 

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Wireless Card issue?
« Reply #1 on: 2017-01-05, 08:54:14 »
They never get broken. The only problem is that somtimes the user has disconnected the coax to the antenna by misstake when assembling the card to the RRC. if you connect a serial cable to com1 and setup a terminal program like Putty to 38400 baud, 8 bit, 1 stopbit, no parity and no handshake, you can see the debug text showing strenght and channels from the different APs and some other info which are related to the WiFi connection

73 de mike

ng1p

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2017-01-05, 14:36:21 »
The cable is connected as it should be. When this happens its like the wireless card is not even connected. When I connect to the RRC with the usb cable and try to scan for a wireless network it says no wireless card is installed. I power off 1 to 5 times and then I can scan for a wireless network and it connects to the network. So clearly something is not right with the wireless card or RRC board that connects to the wireless card.

SM5DXU

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-01-05, 16:51:51 »
Mike, do you recall that I had problems with a wireless card a couple of years ago and you replaced it? The new card has worked ever since.

Regards / Göstha

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2017-01-05, 17:13:33 »
No I dont remeber that but I know we have replaced less than 5 Wifi cards in total so they are extremly reliable. But if the RRC do not find it, it could be worth trying another WiFi board

73 de mike

ng1p

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2017-01-06, 00:16:15 »
Since this is new do I work with HRO (I ordered from HRO in Salem NH.) for a replacement?

Thanks for your help

ng1p

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2017-01-13, 03:14:27 »
I had HRO send me a new wireless card and that did the trick. Now wireless works every time.

Resolved!

SM5DXU

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2017-01-13, 10:44:45 »
Nice to hear, good luck!

/ Göstha