Author Topic: K3 Remote Radio ACC connector for RRC & SO2R-interlock simultaneously?  (Read 4421 times)

HA7GN

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello Guys,

I need your input before trying and making a mess..
The idea is to use two remote K3 radios in a (CW/SSB)SO2R setup. The RRC's are linked to the radio ACC connector with cable E850510 (Power-On and FSK) - Pins 1/5/8 are used on the DE15M.
The SO2R-Interlock is also using the K3 ACC connector with Pins 1/5/7/10. I am planning to use a VGA Y-Splitter cable to connect the Interlock-Radio-RRC @ the ACC connector. Do you see any risk of malfunction at the RRC if FSK IN on Pin1 will be common for both equipment?

Interlock DE15M pin-out:
1. FSK In
5. GND
7. TX Inhibit
10 Key Out

Thanks, 73
Gabor
HA7GN

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
Gabor
I use 2 K3 radios in the exact same setup that you are using.  I have not tried it leaving the FSK pin common to both radios.  What I have experienced, when operating in the SO2R environment, that the remote connected K3 turns itself off.  We're not sure if its RFI, but several times during a contest the radio just shuts off.  The only thing that stopped it was to disconnect the RRC ACC line from the K3 when operating SO2R locally.  Since we swap the other plugs (cw, mike, ptt, key) when going from remote to local, we just added the ACC 15 to the list.

Dennis W1UE

HA7GN

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Dennis,
Thanks for your comments. I may need to further clarify some details of the setup.
I intend to use the two K3 radios in remote SO2R. I have a fast interlock (by EA4TX) and it will need to be between the two radios on the remote end to avoid accidental simultaneous transmission due to internet latency. Both radios' ACC connectors are occupied by the 2 remote RRCs. The EA4TX interlock is using the K3 inhibit function thru the ACC connector as well. The plan is to use a VGA Y-splitter cable to connect Radio 1 to RRC 1 and Interlock-R1 (Radio 2 to RRC2 to Interlock-R2 respectively).
There is an overlap on Pin1 of ACC, which is the FSK IN, both equipment the RRC and the interlock would also be using it.
The question; is there a risk of malfunction to the RRC in that case?
Thanks,
73 Gabor
HA7GN

oz1rh

• View Profile
Note that a VGA Y-splitter cable might not connect all 15 pins, see www.kkn.net/~n6tv/Y-BOX/ToOrder.html

73, Palle, OZ1RH.

HA7GN

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Palle,
This is the point. I have tried the VGA splitter cable and none of the pins needed were functioning..
I built my own Y-splitter cables and all worked fine in CW. Both the SO2R interlock was working ok as well as the remote trx switch on/off.
Thanks for pulling my attention to it.
Gabor
ha7gn