Author Topic: RR Troubleshooting  (Read 4261 times)

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
RR Troubleshooting
« on: 2018-12-06, 20:24:20 »
I have a friend's Control RRC here.  He uses it with a TS480 remote head.  It currently is not working.
When checking it out, voltage measurements show there is no +8V to the wire jumper pins- either the one going to the RJ11 connector, or the one supplying the voltage.  Without voltage, the TS480 remote head won't come on, so of course it won't connect. 

If I plug the TS480 remote head into the TS480 body, the TS480 lights and works, so that isn't the problem.

Question: is that +8V supply problem fixable by a user, or must it go back to Remote Rig?  Or could a jumper be missing?  I read thru the manual, and didn't see an applicable jumper.

Dennis W1UE

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: RR Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: 2018-12-06, 20:28:24 »
If the RRC is not set to the correct program mode  = 5 (TS-480) there is no 8V there

73 de mike

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2018-12-07, 13:12:15 »
Mike
Just went back to double check. Control RRC is definitely in Mode 5, TS480.  Opened case to make it easy to check. 
No +8V on either side of jumper.  When TS480 head is plugged in, it doesn't turn on or light up.

Is the cable connecting the two a normal 6 conductor straight through cable? 

Dennis W1UE

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2018-12-07, 13:33:15 »
Hi

There is no jumper providing the TS-480 head with 8V. 8V is provided in the TTL jack on pin 2. The jumpers is only for the micsignal, they do not have to be there at all before using the mic. Yes the cable should be straight, be shure it's not twisted 180 degrees.

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2018-12-07, 16:30:26 »
Dennis,

Maybe your problem is that you are using a standard RJ12 telephone cable to connect the two.
That will not work, you need all wires connected and that only uses two. The type of cable is
referred to as an RJ12 6P6C cable, which you can find over the internet.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2018-12-07, 20:17:45 »
Mitch
I might be inclined to agree with you, except for one big item- if I unplug the cable that goes from the RR Control unit to the TS480 head at the RR Unit, and plug it into the TS480 body, then the TS480 turns on and works.  If you tell me that wiring is different between the two functions of that cable, I'll believe you and get the cable that you specified.  It also appears to have all the 6 connections at both plugs.

Mike
You were partially correct- I was looking for the +8V at the jumpers for the MIC jack, not the TTL jack.  So I turned the unit over, and behind the TTL jack there are two rows of 3 connections that look like they go to the TTL jack.  I measured the voltages at each and this is the result (orientation is the pcb is upside down, and the two rows of connections have the top row, furthest away, with the first connection slightly to the left of the bottom row):
Top row, left most: 0V
Top row, middle: 0V
Top row, right most: 4.98V
Bottom Row, left most: .02V
Bottom Row, middle:" 5.03V
Bottom Row, right most: 3.01V

When I measured the ground connection was between the ground solder pad near the TTL jack, and again at the -DC input connector pad.  In both cases, the voltages were the same.  No 8V.  Per your other suggestion, I made sure that it was in Mode 5, TS480.

Dennis W1UE

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2018-12-07, 20:49:02 »
No problem, Dennis, it was only a possibility. You can actually look at the plug and see if only two or if all
wires are connected (may need a magnifying glass if you are close to my age).

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2018-12-11, 14:19:14 »
AFter doing some voltage checks on the RR Control box (detailed in a previous posting), I don't have +8V for the TS480 control head available at any of the 6 RJ11 terminals.  Is it worthwhile to do a reset on the box to see if that re-establishes the voltages?  Or is there somewhere else I can look?

Dennis W1UE

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2018-12-11, 14:29:49 »
If have sent you an email

73 de mike