Author Topic: Kenwood TS-480 with RRC-1258MkII Radio unit, and RRC-1258 ver 1 Control unit.  (Read 3512 times)

sv1gfu

• View Profile
    • Email
 I own one new Radio unit ( RRC-1258MkII ) and one old Control unit ( RRC-1258 ver 1 ) and i am trying to connect those two units with Kenwood TS-480. I already saw and fix the cable for RRC-1258 ver 1 control unit http://www.remoterig.com/v1/bilder/TS480-RRC-Radio-K6.pdf, and i put the correct jumpers at Radio unit ( RRC-1258MkII ) and TTL is connected with control plug, and AUX/MIC with the MIC plug on my TS-480 main unit.
With this connection and the cable i fix from your design at  RRC-1258 ver 1 page , i manage to turn on and control TS-480 from my old RRC-1258 ver 1 control unit, but i have strong noise when i try to transmit, The base goes to PTT mode but with a lot of noise. Please advice me what can i do in order to fix this problem of mine.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
If the codec settings are correct according to the manual, it's either the red wires which is missplaced or broken or the cables which are not OK

73 de mike

sv1gfu

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello again,

I have double check the red wires and the codecs, i checked them with ohm meter and i changed all of them just in case. the problem seems to be at the wire of my RRC-1258 Ver1. Every cable that i fixed the result is the same, display works perfect, PTT is working fine and modulation works, but when i stop talking to mic with PTT pressed a strong noise pass through my modulation, I Tried different capacitors bigger than 1μF at MIC as you suggest at your design with no better result. I was using those units with an Icom 706MkIIG without any problem. Please help me find what is wrong, Is there any other cable design for my old RRC-1258 ver 1 to eliminate this kind of interference on my modulation?

Thank you for you help.

Sv1gfu

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
it's difficult for anyone help who do not have access to the hardware.

Maybe it's time to replace the 10 year old box with a new one ?

You can still use the v1 box for the IC-706 that you had used it with before

73 de mike

robertoschuijff

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello ,

I having the same problem here with the same radio and its all new! The hume tone is very loud en i tried to chanche every cable en ferrit clambs on the cables but the sound is staying.

Sorry for the bad englisch.

Roberto.