Author Topic: Switching RRC from WiFi to cable  (Read 3094 times)

Dick N4RA

• View Profile
    • Email
Switching RRC from WiFi to cable
« on: 2020-02-18, 21:07:48 »
I've had a pair of RRC1258s working with my K3 and K3mini trouble-free for several years.  The control RRC is hardwired to internet and the radio RRC is via wifi.  I'd like to change both connections: hardwire the radio RRC and wifi the control RRC.

My first step was to remove the wifi module from the radio RRC and attach it to the router with an ethernet cable.  When I returned to the control RRC I found that there was no connection (telco beep-beep-beep).  The next weekend I re-installed the wifi module, removed the cable and voila:  works again.

I haven't done much debugging since the RRCs are still remote from each other, but I can do that if necessary.  My question is this:  Do I need to change any parameters to switch from wifi to hardwired?  I was expecting the RRC to revert to the wired option automatically.

I am using a Netgear 6100D gateway/router for both the wifi and wired connection at the radio.  I've made no change to the router.  I don't know much about routers, but my home router switches seamlessly between wifi & wired.

Any advice?

Cheers.
Dick
N4RA

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Switching RRC from WiFi to cable
« Reply #1 on: 2020-02-18, 21:10:12 »
Dick,

Using a different network card will give you a different IP number from your router's DHCP server. This
new IP number has to be port forwarded, but you can just edit the existing one in your router.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX