Author Topic: Winkey : problem and features..  (Read 3461 times)

TK5EP

• View Profile
Winkey : problem and features..
« on: 2020-04-22, 06:29:22 »
Hi all,
I have the greatest difficulties to use the RRC1258 Winkey keyer.

I'm totaly unable to use it in sending a clean CW with the paddles. I found out that there is a small delay between the paddle squeezing and the monitor.
This delay is long enough to disturb my brain and i'm "out of sync".

In the keyer settings, i reduced the key delay and lf delay to 0, but there is still some delay.

Also, using a COM port sniffer i noticed that most of the Winkey commands are not taken into account, making it difficult to set the keyer how i would like and/or to let the logging software "talk" to the keyer.

So :
1) Am i the only one with this keying problem and can it be corrected ? Is there another problem with the keyer ?
2) What set of Winkey commands are recognized by the RRC ?

73, Patrick
TK5EP

TK5EP

• View Profile
Re: Winkey : problem and features..
« Reply #1 on: 2020-04-22, 16:02:18 »
Hi all,

After 2 days of searching and twicking, i finaly found the origin of the first problem !

The latency is NOT coming from the Winkeyer but from the computer !
I was feeding the RRC SP output to the computer (in order to use some digital modes as well) and was listening to the computer speaker output. The small latency introduced by the sound card was enough to disturb me.
I got a phone call from a friend who had the same bad experience...  ;D

Now i would like to solve the compatibility problem with Logger32 and need to know a bit more about the K1EL Winkey2 compatibility. Anyone ?

I hope this helps...
 :D

73, Patrick
TK5EP

TK5EP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-04-23, 11:55:31 »
Hi,

No one here...  :(

I've been in touch with K4CY the Logger32 programmer.
He very kindly and quickly found a workaround and now it seems to work.

Super service, very rarely found even with paid and professionnal software !!  ;)
hats off !

But i'm still interested in the RRC Winkey protocol compatibility...  ;)

73, Patrick

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2020-04-23, 12:25:37 »
GM Patrick

I tried to use the Winkey Emulator included in the RRC several years ago, but did not have satisfactory results.  I don't recall exactly what didn't work, but I use the remote station for contests and the last thing I want to do in a contest is to spend time fussing with the hardware.

I bought a MORTTY CW Keyer, set it up with my computer, and it has worked flawlessly.  I realize this doesn't exactly answer your question, but that's how I solved the keying problem.

Dennis W1UE

TK5EP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-04-24, 10:08:09 »
Hi Dennis,

I was about to do the same.. Before finding the solution, i even quickly built a K3NG keyer with an Arduino just to be sure that it was a Remoterig problem.
With this simple keyer, i could key perfectly and all softwares were working OK.

The problem comes from the very few commands that the RRC Winkeyer recognizes.
It is certainly not a great deal to add the full set of Winkey commands or at least the most important.

Let's keep finger crossed !

73 Patrick

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2020-04-25, 13:00:50 »
Patrick
If you do SO2R operating, you might want to take a look at the SO2R Mini controller.  Its built around an Arduino.

Good luck, have fun, and see you in the contests!

Dennis W1UE

TK5EP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2020-04-26, 06:49:18 »
Hi Denis,

Thanks for the info. Nice project.
Not QRV in SO2R ...

73, Patrick