Author Topic: Remote K3 shuts off whenever Control-RRC is reset  (Read 3270 times)

k0rf

• View Profile
    • Email
Remote K3 shuts off whenever Control-RRC is reset
« on: 2020-06-19, 01:08:14 »
I am not using the ACC plug on the Remote K3 for this remote link. I just want to leave the Remote K3 on all the time so it can be accessed by the Control-RRC whenever remote operation is wanted. The problem is that when the Control-RRC comes up, the first thing it does is turn off the Remote K3 making it impossible to connect. I would like to find a configuration that would allow the  Control-RRC to come up without turning off the remote K3.

Help please.

Chuck K0RF

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Remote K3 shuts off whenever Control-RRC is reset
« Reply #1 on: 2020-06-22, 08:21:29 »
Hi

I have neve before got this request, so I doubt there is no need for it, I think it works very well the way it's working now.

73 de mike

W2CS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-07-19, 18:40:08 »
A similar problem here..  Whenever the control  has settings changed, it causes the remote K3 to power off.  Is there a way to prevent this?  Thanks...Gary W2CS

ha3flt

• View Profile
    • HA3FLT's Home
« Reply #3 on: 2021-01-12, 16:01:16 »
Same here. But no answer?
73 ..... Tibor

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2021-01-12, 16:21:31 »
No there is no way to prevent that, when the RRC-resets all starts from begining, better to disconnect before change settings which cause reset

/mike

sm6knl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2021-01-18, 22:07:07 »
The stop/start is a great feature. When the link shuts down the K3 powers down and that is a good help since the K3 should be shut down correctly and not by just killing the power. At the same time a realy can drop the antenna connection when the K3 powers off. The problem for me was that the K3 sometimes shuts down or starts up half way, whith a lit display and no text, nubers or symbols . It normally corrects itself after a forced doisconnect and reconnect of the connection. I tested this for quite some time on a local LAN using the 2 remote rig boxes. One of the great benefits with remoterig is that you don’t need a computer on the remote site, but for me it does not matter as I always have a computer running Faros beacon monitor anyway. So to keep the K3 live which I prefer, I connected it via Ham Radio DeLuxe IP server and a computer com port. I never shut down the link on purpose, except when I reconfigure. A very reliable solution if you keep a Windows computer running anyway (with automatic updates turned off) on the remote site.

Regards,
Lennart

ha3flt

• View Profile
    • HA3FLT's Home
« Reply #6 on: 2021-11-29, 12:22:58 »
After some reverse engineering I already now how it works, however I haven't measured anything directly on the radio side yet.

In twin mode, on the control side, locally to me, I can see a "PS;" command coming on the serial line of my K3/0 (mini) in every 2-3 seconds. This is a question from the radio (or the local RRC box, se later) about the requested power state of the control side. When we press the button on the K3/0, it starts sending "PS1;" messages repeteadly until the K3/0 is turned off, then it sends a "PS0;". Also, if the sequence of "PS1;"'s stops suddenly because of any problem (power is removed from the K3/0, internet connection breaks, etc.), the radio will turn off itself after some seconds, too.

I don't know yet what causes the radio to wait for a K3/0 to be attached initially, it might be the line of the K3 radio's back that needs a pulse before you can turn it on remotely when already powered. There is a state when the radio is not fully on, but its display is lit - if you hold that line high without releasing. I observed that the RRC's provide some more sophisticated interfacing, so you are not necessarily getting the physically same PS; questions from the radio, but they come out of the control RRC, and you can respond to them anyway.

And what I'm trying to say is: when I hadn't have a K3/0 yet, I just connected the appropriate port of the control RRC communicating normally with the K3/0, and got a serial terminal program to send PS1;'s to the control RRC blindly in every 3-5 hundred milliseconds to turn on and against turning off the K3 itself, then I used the whole system through the also available CAT port going through the RRC's (a port programmed to be the CAT port on the control side - it can be one of the serial ports or a USB virtual serial port in the Windows as well speaking of desktop PC's).

So, in Twin Mode, I can't see any easy method to keep the radio on if there is not an actual connection to the remote RRC box, and if you program them to use only a CAT line for the remote control, most of the comfort disappears that the K3/0 provides.
« Last Edit: 2021-11-29, 12:28:30 by ha3flt »
73 ..... Tibor