Author Topic: Connection issue  (Read 3319 times)

k4ea

• View Profile
    • Email
Connection issue
« on: 2020-09-25, 03:49:56 »
I'm trying to connect my k3s to control a k3 located at K0RF.  I have eliminated cable, network, firewall, etc. issues. Yet I'm an unable to connect to any of his k3 radios.  Several others are able to connect and control his radios.  However, they all have k3's and not k3s's.  I would think if that is the issue, I would still see the control box connecting to the radio box but it is not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Neal, K4EA

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Connection issue
« Reply #1 on: 2020-09-25, 06:32:48 »
Neal,

The only difference between the K3 and K3s from this standpoint is that the K3s includes a USB interface. Maybe you have that connected to the RRC? You absolutely must use a "real" serial cable between the K3 and RRC to make it work, so use the standard serial port instead of the USB one if that is what you are doing.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k4ea

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2020-09-25, 14:54:38 »
Yes.  Using "real" serial cable (null modem). At first I made my own cable from the RJ45 to the RCC.  I was confidant that it was done correctly but when it didn't work, I purchased a m/m null modem cable and used the Elecraft supplied pig tail (RJ45 to db9f).

k4ea

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2020-09-25, 15:03:00 »
It appears the connection is active but my k3 is not seeing the connection.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2020-09-25, 15:03:19 »
Look at the serial settings page. Is COM2 "use as USB" set to NO as it should be?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k4ea

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2020-09-25, 15:07:37 »
It is set to "no".

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2020-09-25, 15:27:50 »
It must be something simple. Is the CAT speed (RS232 menu) set to the correct baud rate in the K3s? It
should match that of the control RRC, which should in turn match the radio RRC and K3 radio.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k4ea

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2020-09-25, 15:37:56 »
Probably why I can't find the problem.  Yes both are set to 38400.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2020-09-25, 16:17:09 »
Assuming the RRC settings are correct, then it should work. There must be something that was
overlooked.

You said that you had an Elecraft null modem cable. I could only find part number E970297 in the
Elecraft manual, which is a straight-through RJ45 to DB9 RS232 adapter. You would still need a null
modem adapter if using that cable.

I only see these three things as possible causes, assuming the RRC settings are correct:

1) Serial adapter cable not null modem
2) Baud rate wrong
3) Control RRC COM2 "use as USB" set to YES instead of NO

If all of these are really correct, then perhaps there is an RRC setting wrong. Since I don't have the radio
RRC's settings or your full settings, I can't verify them. Easiest would be to have someone in the group save
their settings to a BIN file and send it to you to load.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k4ea

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2020-09-25, 17:53:31 »
"You said that you had an Elecraft null modem cable. I could only find part number E970297 in the Elecraft manual, which is a straight-through RJ45 to DB9 RS232 adapter. You would still need a null modem adapter if using that cable."

No, I said:

" I purchased a m/m null modem cable and used the Elecraft supplied pig tail (RJ45 to db9f)."

Chuck (K0RF) and I have gone over the settings.  He did send me a working configuration "bin" file.  Made no difference.

At this point, I suspect the RS-232 (com2) on the RRC is bad.

As I don't have a (or access to) second K3 and Elecraft is no longer selling k3 mini  >:(, I have no way to test the control box.

My next step is to connect the RCC "radio" box to the k3 and see if at least the control box will connect on my lan.  I should be able to get RX audio and control via software.

I'm off to my "remote" station for the CQWW RTTY test.  I will attack this again next week.

Mitch, thanks for your help.  At least I know I didn't make any simple mistakes in my setup.

Neal, K4EA

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2020-09-25, 18:12:05 »
Hi Neal,

Sorry, I misunderstood you on the null modem cable.

It is not possible from here to figure it out, I'm afraid. It is extremely rare to have an RRC
that is defective in that way, but it does happen. I am not sure if anyone in your area has
a similar setup to help you out.

I though the radio RRC was at K0RF's QTH, but I guess you must have one as well. If you need
any further help, just email me at dj0qn (at) darc (dot) de. I won't be back in Florida before
November this year.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX