Author Topic: need COM0 understanding  (Read 2498 times)

TK5EP

• View Profile
need COM0 understanding
« on: 2021-12-19, 20:34:57 »
Hi all,

I need to clarify one thing.
Am I correct if I understand that COM0 is dedicated to the CAT ? And that it can rooted to COM1, COM2 or USB ?

I would like to use the CAT via the USB port with my TS590s.

Thanks for any clarification.

73 Patrick TK5EP

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: need COM0 understanding
« Reply #1 on: 2021-12-19, 20:46:52 »
Hi Patrick,

Not necessarily. On Icom radios, that is a correct assumption. On other radios, it is the channel
used to connect the two RRC's. If one is using a CAT connection between them as the "twin"
configurations require, then COM0 becomes irrelevant. If using a radio that has a proprietary
connection between the two, such as the TS-480, then it becomes important. So your answer
is "it depends".

I assume that you are using a pair of TS-590's in twin mode? If so, then you are using COM2 to
connect the two over their CAT ports. So to enable CAT, you set COM1 to duplicate CAT by setting
it to mode 6 or mode 7 on both RRC's, depending upon how you want to use the CAT port(s).

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

TK5EP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2021-12-20, 18:31:28 »
HI Mitch,

Thanks for the answer.
No, I don't use the twin configuration. I actually use COM2 on remote RRC1258 to CAT the TS590s via its RS232 input.

But I would like to use ONLY its USB port for AF & CAT.

On control side, I use the RRC1258 USB port for doing both.

I must say that it's a bit confusing. It's probably clear once you know it, but not intuitive. :-)

73, Patrick

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2021-12-20, 18:57:30 »
Hi Patrick,

No one ever said it was intuitive  ;)

Keep in mind that this hardware needs to support many types of rigs and they are all different. Once installed, it runs
for years without a problem.

AF is not carried over USB, only serial channels over COM1 and COM2 and FSK/Winkeyer support on COM4/COMEXTRA.

You need a "real" serial cable between the rig and COM2 on the radio RRC, but on the control side it is no problem to use
COM2 for CAT using USB. If you need a second CAT port, you can set COM1 as described below.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

TK5EP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2021-12-21, 09:00:03 »
HI Mitch,

Stupid I am !
Of course does the control side not use USB to carry AF ! I need some holidays ...  ;D

Thanks for clarifications and happy holidays.

73 Patrick TK5EP