Author Topic: NEED HELP - TS480S does not turn on  (Read 1342 times)

py2xb

• View Profile
    • Email
NEED HELP - TS480S does not turn on
« on: 2022-11-28, 14:36:02 »
Hi Mile+

I have been using my remote station for about 2yrs without any major issue. I have recently set up another station at home in order to test back-up items. I have tested successfully another TS480 radio with another pair of Remoterig modems. Then I decided to replace the TS480 in the actual remote site with the backup TS480 that I have tested at home. For few days no issue and recently I started to have the following issue, that I am not sure if it is related to the TS480 swap:
RRC Radio Modem connects to RRC Control Modem OK. However, I cannot turn on the remote TS480. When Pressing the head’s ON/OFF button the yellow LED on the AUX/MIC turns on, I hear the characteristic “bip”  but the head does not light.
I have made many tests, but no conclusion. I have printed relevant configuration/status on both sides which is in the attached PDF.
Any help is appreciated. Many thanks Fred

Fred

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: NEED HELP - TS480S does not turn on
« Reply #1 on: 2022-11-28, 14:42:15 »
Hi

Remoterig doesn't care about the swap, it must be a radio or cable issue

73 de e Mike

py2xb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2022-11-28, 15:10:25 »
Ok Mike. I will have to investigate that further. Regards Fred

IZ0JOJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2022-12-11, 23:07:37 »
Hello,
I had the same problem.

TS 480 - everything worked until few months ago. Since September I can't. The yellow light turns on and I hear a small "bip" as usual but then nothing happen..

Attached the screenshot

py2xb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2022-12-12, 00:21:53 »
Ciao Antonio. I should have shared the outcome of my problem here. Sorry I didn't.

Per Mike's answer and my findings, I realized that the modems connect and this has nothing to do with the radio. So,  when the power button is pressed on the radio's head, the RRC Radio turns the TS480 on and it is expected that the radio turns on.  If the  radio is on,  then the head communicates with the radio and  normal radio functioning starts. If the radio at the remote side does not turn on, nothing happens.
So,  If the radio does not turn on (power supply not connected for instance), what you and I described happens.

In my case I had replaced a TS480S with a TS480HX. I had to make a power cable with two power connectors to energize the radio. It happened that this cable had a contact issue. In fact the 13.8V DC to the radio was intermittent.

So, again, the modens were connecting and the radio was not energized. Of course I had to drive to the remote site to discover that.

Maybe you should make a similar investigation.

Best regards Fred PY2XB