Author Topic: How to connect Bencher BY-1 paddle to RRC1258 V2 (early version from 2016)?  (Read 997 times)

SA0TJS

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi! Anyone who knows if this is possible? Cables are built according to available drawings.
I have tried almost every combination of the IO port settings. I got this suggestion from SM0CXU who has the latest Mark II version:
Control panel side:
INO Mode: I/O
Out 0 mode: Connect
Out 1 mode: I/O
Out 2 mode: Keyer
RTS Disabled
DTR Disabled

On the radio side I have tried almost every combination.

What happens is the output either is dot dash dot dash etc ... independent of which paddle I press, or with some I/O combinations I get either only dots or only dashes independent of paddle pressed.

I get the impression that connection over the rrc is not capable of separating the dot line and the dash line   which results in that signals are treated as a squeeze of both paddles which is not the case.

My radio is Kenwood  TS480 SAT

Any ideas?

« Last Edit: 2023-04-26, 11:54:26 by SA0TJS »

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
hi connect the paddle to the 3.5 mm Control-RRC pad jack and connect a 3.5 mm stereo cable from Radio-RRC Pad jack to the TS-480 Key jack. (It must be a stereo plug)

in Control RRC enable Keyer, no I/O settings needed. in Radio RRC set out2 to Keyer

thats it

73 de mike

SA0TJS

• View Profile
    • Email
TU mike,

I got it working now. In addition I had to change setting 37 in my TS480 from OFF to ON. This setting controls the internal electronic keyer function. In ON state the keyer become half automatic (bug-mode according too manual) which mean that the dashes has to med generated externally. The dots are still generated by the electronic keyer. So in this case the dashes are generated by the "remote" panel rrc. According to the manual the dots are still generated by the TS480 and assumable also by the "remote" panel rrc which is a bit confusing that it not is causing conflicts which it seems to not be doing. Anyway it works now and the output from the radio when using remoterig is working as it should.

73 de SA0TJS