Author Topic: ic-7100 and 1289 antenna switch changes mode on the radio  (Read 2113 times)

GW0WZL

• View Profile
    • Email
I have a strange problem that I cannot solve. I have an Icom 7100 connected across the local LAN with 2 1258 boxes and a 1289 antenna switch. The antenna switch works perfectly, and is connected with a genuine ICOM ci17 ci-v. The problem is that at irregular intervals whilst the radio is in receive then the mode will change from usb to lsb or to AM or usb-d. This is totally random the radio is not in tx there is no other software ie wsjtx controlling the radio the antenna is not being switched, no other radio is being operated. With the cable from the radio to the Icom ci-v interface disconnected then the mode never changes, but then the antenna switch will not work automatically.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: ic-7100 and 1289 antenna switch changes mode on the radio
« Reply #1 on: 2023-08-05, 14:17:29 »
Hi

I have never heard about a problem like that before. have you made the connections like it meant to be done ?

-CI-V interface from Radio-RRC com2 to Radio CI-V 3.5 mm jack.
-IC-7100 CI-V Baudrate set fixed to 9600 baud (not auto)
-Radio RRC com2 set to mode 1 and 9600 baud
-AS-1289 setup to connect to the Radio-RRC over IP

73 de mike

GW0WZL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2023-08-08, 10:52:34 »
Thanks for the reply, yes your above settings are being used, but surely you mean com 2 should be set to mode 2 ICOM CI-V, which my radio RRC is set to, and not mode 1.
I have also noticed that I am unable to record voice TX messages which is done with the mic unkeyed, and also cannot monitor my audio from the mic, but can monitor audio when it is sent via the USB port. I is a recent model 7100 and I am using a bought PCB in the control RRC.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2023-08-08, 12:08:08 »
Yes com2 should be set to mode 2 ICOM-CIV
With default settings audio is not sent from the mic without PTT, if you want that set RTP tx mode to "continuous" in the Control RRC
Monitoring mic audio is useless as it is delayed by the internet latency and buffering, but it's possible if you set RTP tx mode to "full duplex" in the Radio RRC

73 de mike

GW0WZL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2023-08-11, 11:03:26 »
OK Thankyou for your help so far, the baud rate for mode 2 CI-V was set at 19200, reducing this to 9600 seems to have stopped the mode changing, however when using WSJT-X with LOG4OM through omnirig (which is set at 19200 as is the silicon labs usb port as is the baud rate set in the 7100) I randomly have the TX stick on after a FT8 transmission, which unsticks itself after the next TX. I have reduced the power out to 0 and this still occurs so is not an RF problem. If I disconnect the serial cable from the CI-V interface I loose any connectivity with the USB ci-v, but if I disconnect the cable between the remote on the radio and the ci-v interface the TX never sticks on, but obviously the antenna switch stops working automatically. Unlike newer Icom radios there is no unlink setting in the 7100. Do you think I have a setting wrong in the 1258 boxes, should the baud rates be the same for both CI-V circuits.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2023-08-11, 11:26:48 »
All CI-V equipment should be set to same baudrate. I don't think the problem has anything to to with Remoterig, I think you have to look at you other softwares. I must say that I have no idea how your setup looks like, sounds very complicated. I don't think it would help to undertand it either as the Remoterig function is straight forward, not much that can be wrong there

73 de mike

GW0WZL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2023-08-11, 18:15:26 »
No it is not complicated, at the remote end is the 7100 radio, 1258 radio unit, 1289 antenna switch and a windows pc. Here in my house is the 1258 control unit and the 7100 head unit. At the remote end the usb cable goes from the radio to the pc, where I have log4om, wsjt-x and jtalert running on a windows pc which I remote into with teamviewer. The remote socket on the back of the radio is connected to an Icom CI17 which is then connected to the com port 2 of the 1258 so that the 1289 antenna switch will work automatically, nothing is connected to the 1258 control end usb socket. This used to work perfectly with a rigblaster connected to the usb socket here in the house connected to mic socket of a 706 mk2g

GW0WZL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2023-08-12, 16:45:52 »
OK I am guessing that both the USB port and the remote port cannot reliably be used at the same time. What I imagine is happening is that there is a collision of communications and though the wsjtx software is sending the command to stop TX on the USB port it is colliding with a message going to or from the antenna switch from the remote CI-V connection........ though I maybe completely wrong.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2023-08-12, 17:05:13 »
That can be the case , I have never heard that USB and Analog CI_V can be used at the same time. Maybe the data is not echoed out to the other port so everyone hear the trafic. the AS can be set to just listen but then you must always have something else wich sends freq data

73 de mike