Author Topic: 3G USB air card - this is how much data and $ I'm using per hour with RRC  (Read 4670 times)

K7FD

• View Profile
Hello,

FYI, after using the AT&T 3G USBConnect air card with the RRC boxes for the last week or so, we have discovered the average data usage is clocking in at about 60MB per hour. Since we have a monthly 5GB data plan, this works out to be about 83 hours per month of operating available before we run out (5000MB data plan / 60MB used per hour = 83.333 hours of operating available.

Carrying this a bit further, 83.333 / 30 days in a month = 2.77 hours of operating time per day. As a point of interest, our plan costs $50 per month US$. Getting granular, you could say it costs us about 60 cents an hour when we operate using the 3G USBConnect card  ;D

In any event, where my xyl N7SG and I operate weekends only from our recreational vehicle, this gives us plenty of 'talk time' per day...

We are totally satisfied using the AT&T 3G to connect our control RRC to the internet. The connection has proved very solid, jitter free, and just like operating from home. Using the Kenwood TS-480SAT...with a average of ping rate of 192ms & settings of packet size 20, jitter buffer 3, jitter delay 4, audio quality 1, keyer lf 350 delay 200...our results have been excellent.

73 John K7FD, Annette N7SG

VE6SH

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks John. This is helpful. I may have to go this route. A 5GB plan runs about $C70 so not to much difference in price.

Tim VE6SH