Author Topic: Earlier Kenwood radios - what works?  (Read 4026 times)

W0HJW

• View Profile
    • Email
Earlier Kenwood radios - what works?
« on: 2011-08-13, 19:39:54 »
Hi All.  I am a newbie and am having fun operating remotely with a TS-480.  It works super!!!

Thanks to third-party hardware/software there is limited controllability with such older radios like a TS-930S (PIEXX digital board) and TS-440 (2 internal chips and special cables).  For example, the TS-930S/PIEXX allows VFO A/B change, pre-programmed frequency change and band change.  The TS-440 allows those plus mode change.  With those limitations, I can locally control either my TS-930 or TS-440 using Ham Radio Deluxe.  However, the only thing I can get using RemoteRig is receiver audio.

I realize these radios were designed long before RemoteRig and the internal software/firmware in the RemoteRig was probably not designed for such early radios.  I can't get Ham Radio Deluxe to start via RemoteRig.  I do get receiver audio (simple on/off since the volume control is not controllable).  PTT and transmit audio does not work.

Does anyone have any ideas or is that all I should expect from ancient radios.  :)

Thanks in advance and 73,  Harold W0HJW

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Earlier Kenwood radios - what works?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-18, 15:22:10 »
Hi if you change to mode 3 it may work. In mode 4 the messages need to end with a ; to be sent. Maybe it's not the same protocol for the old ones.

73 de mike

W0HJW

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Earlier Kenwood radios - what works?
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-19, 18:59:08 »
Thanks Mike for your answer.  I won't be at the remote QTH for another 3 weeks but I can try it with a TS-940 that I have here.  I will let you know soon.

Harold W0HJW