Author Topic: Elecraft WN-2 Wattmeter and Easy Rotor Control Interface via Remoterig!  (Read 5292 times)

HB9AZT

• View Profile
    • Email
After some experimenting I have two new items running via com1 of the remote-rig boxes (old mark1-model, but should also work with the recent model):

Elecraft WN2-Wattmeter: straight forward rs232-cable at control site, 0-modem-cable at remote(radio)-site
com1-settings: mode 3, 9600 Baud, 1 stop bit, no parity on both boxes

Easy Rotor Control Interface (for details about that excellent and cheap antenna rotor interface see www.schmidt-alba.de): straight forward rs232-cable at control site, 0-modem-cable at remote(radio)-site, com1-settings: mode 3, 9600 Baud, 1 stop bit, no parity

To explain the basics in a few words:

both of the  remote-rig boxes com1 act as dce (data communication equipment). dce and dte (data terminal equipment), e.g. a pc can be connected via straight forward RS-232-cable. To connect a dce to another dce, you need a 0-modem cable (at least pin 2 and 3 crossed). Most "radio amateur toys" like wattmeters, antenna rotors or a lot of transceivers are configured as dce. That's the reason why a straight forward cable is needed at the control site and a 0-modem cable is needed at the remote site. 

Finally a working wattmeter to monitor a remote station and a good serial rotor interface for azimuth and elevation!

May be this is of interest for some users, saves hours of trying and soldering different cables :)

73 and happy remoting de Mark, HB9AZT

« Last Edit: 2010-05-11, 18:00:12 by HB9AZT »

dd2ml

• View Profile
    • Email
I know the thread is old but maybe thereīs anyone with the same problem who solved it.

I have a Easy Control Rotor Interface but no Serial Port on my notebook. It dosnīt work with USB i guess. Or may I have a Null-Modem cable on the control side?

vy 73
Ulli

dj4mz

• View Profile
Hi Ulli,

I also do not have a real serial port on the control side! Just connect the serial port from your Easy Rotator Control to the remote RRC and a serial to USB converter to the control RRC. Works fine for me! If you need detailed config, just let me know.

vy 73
Simon, DJ4MZ

dd2ml

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Simon,
I donīt want an additional cable if there is the possibility to work with the internal USB-Serial.

Iīll try with a modem cable on the control side.

Ulli